Resoration of Damaged 170

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

PeteK

Resoration of Damaged 170

Post by PeteK »

Hello all,

I am considering the purchase of a 1953 170B. The aircraft has been nosed over and has the following damage. Prop, engine mount, right gearbox, right wingtip, firewall, cowling.

Are any of these damages deal-breakers? This will be my first restoration/repair project. I have done some metalworking in the past, and hope to do as much of the work as possible with A&P inspections and signoff.

Opinions?
doakes

Post by doakes »

Pete, I have restored a 170 but with no damage. My first thought is to determine what needs to be replaced and determine if you can purchase those parts that you cannot fix your self and then consider the total cost of the project. It might be a fun project only until it cost more than you can afford or can sell it. Just something to think about.
Dave O
GAHorn

nosed-over?

Post by GAHorn »

If it was nosed over with the engine running, then you should think about figuring in an engine overhaul as well. TCM has a mandatory service bulletin that requires an engine tear-down if prop damage requires removal of the prop for repair due to a prop strike. The accy's (mags, etc) were also suddenly stopped and need inspection and/or overhaul.
There is no "deal killer" here as far as the question "Can it be repaired?" is concerned. The question is,..."Can it be repaired within the amount I'm willing to spend?"
PeteK

Post by PeteK »

Well, that might kill the deal. I was hoping to make the plane airworthy for about $5k by doing much of the work myself with A&P help where needed. Then I would go on to repaint, redo the interior and the panel as time goes on and funds become available. Here are some pictures: