Front Seat Rollers

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

planepilot1

Front Seat Rollers

Post by planepilot1 »

My front passenger seat has too much slack in the rollers between the rollers & the seat track. The holes where the bolt goes through the seat leg bottom to hold the rollers are "wallered out". (Don't ask how they got that way!) I am going to need some over sized rollers to make the seat fit properly and stop the rocking motion that the empty seat does now. All of the rollers I have previously had or purchased over the past yrs have been made of a hard nylon (?) type material. Would steel or aluminum rollers made on a lathe work OK or would it cause undue wear on the seat tracks? If this wouldn't work if I could buy some stock of the proper material then maybe I could turn new rollers of the required diameter. Suggestions appreciated.

Frank N6888A
Frank Stephenson
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Frank, are you talking about the actual rollers being nylon? or are you referring to nylon guide washers that some 172 aircraft have?
The 170b parts catalog, pg 58, fig 32, item 1, PN0311310-roller is made of aluminum. All the ones I've ever seen are aluminum. They are also slightly concave. It'd be less expensive and more correct to purchase genuine or PMA'd replacements. (Try McFarlane).
As for your seats attach holes being "wallered" out, I suspect they've not been kept properly lubricated and/or assembled. The roller rides in a bushing that provides for the roller movement to help avoid wallowing :wink: out. You might consider a repair by either drilling out oversized, then bushing the hole back down to normal,...or welding up and re-drilling the seat leg attach-point. (I presume you're talking about that "claw" fitting.) I think I'd do the former. If you did, you could simply order additional bushings and cut sufficient stock from them to make up the bushings. (If you can imagine this, you'd end up with two very short bushings separated by the normal PN 0311586 bushing, all held in place by the correct AN3-11A bolt.) Good luck.
mschlender

Seat Rollers

Post by mschlender »

You can get the rollers from Brown Aviation out of Marietta GA. Original Cessna parts. CHEAP!

Good Luck.