ELEVATOR TRIM RIGGING

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

n3833v

ELEVATOR TRIM RIGGING

Post by n3833v »

My trim wheel indicator doesn't travel full distance front and my chain at the screw sprocket doesn't center. The cable stops seem to be OK. My travel on the tab is 8.7 up and 24.8 down. I don't have a 100 Service manual and my 170 book section for trim is empty. Need some advice for checking setup
Bruce Fenstermacher

elevator trim rigging

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

What elevator do you have. The trim changed from the A model to the B model. The '48 170 is the same as the A model.

Few people seem to realize there is a difference. If your trim hinge runs from the back edge of the elevator to the back edge of the elevator you have the early unbalanced elevator. If your trim hingge is recessed a few inches in front of the back edge of the elevator then you have the later B model elevator. Also the early elevator looks like a 140 elevator and the later B model looks like a 190/195 or L-19 elevator.

I may know your plane if you bought it from Wes Shartle. If this is the case even though it's a '48 I believe it has a B model elevator installed if I remember correctly. I looked at this plane to buy before Wes bought it but didn't which is another story which has nothing to do wiith the plane. If you didn't get the plane from Wes Shartle then disregard this rambling.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
N1277D

Re: elevator Trim Tab

Post by N1277D »

The trim tab values are found in A-799 for the various 170 models. They are:

C170 up 10 down 27 degrees
C170A up 10 down 27 degrees
C170B up 12 down 25 degrees