Tailpipe Binding

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

n1410d

Tailpipe Binding

Post by n1410d »

I have a 1951 170A with the Hanlon & Wilson Mufflers. My problem is that the left tailpipe is binding on the cowling. This problem has been going on since before I got the airplane. The opening in the cowl has been elongated by the tailpipe. I just put a new exhaust system on that side( new muffler, risers, gaskets, and clamps.) All of the new parts lined up perfectly except the new tailpipe missed the opening all together. So I put the old tailpipe back on and while it clears the opening there is just enough slop in the connection between the tailpipe, muffler, and tailpipe clamp to allow the airstream to push the tailpipe against the cowl. You can grab the tailpipe and rock it back and forth about a quarter inch. I have tried shimming the clamp but no luck. Any ideas????
JDH

Post by JDH »

Yep! Get a set of Pat Bartone's tail pipes. They come out the back, shoot the bad stuff under the plane, cuts down on the noise and dirty belly.
I simply love them!! Pat is a member and you can find his add and coordinates in the Fly Paper.
JD
flyguy

PIPE RUBBING THE HOLE

Post by flyguy »

There is an area that is sometimes overlooked when things don't line up. Look at your engine mount, firewall attach points and lower engine mount longerons (the braces behind the lower firewall) for wear, loose rivits or mis-alignment.

Another possibility: someone might have replaced the cowl in the past and cut the hole in the wrong place. Measure another 170 like yours and compare the measurements.