brake line retainer

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

snappernp

brake line retainer

Post by snappernp »

I'm looking for two brake line retainer brackets part# 0741000-7. So far I haven't had any luck locating some. If somebody knows where I can get two of these critters thanks
N1277D

Brake Line Retainer Clip

Post by N1277D »

Those hard to find parts that nobody has anymore ? Being the engineer that I am, I would suggest you find some 4130 steel stock and make them. It might take you an hour or so on a grinder and tourch to do so.
As long as you own the aircraft the FARs permit you to manufacture replacement parts that are equilivant to the orginal part. Weather you order the part from Cessna or provide specs to a machine shop or make them in your garage/shop according to approved aircraft methods you are in good shape according to the FARs, you just cant sell them.
flyguy

ENGINEER SIR!

Post by flyguy »

Those little klips aren't something you can make out of normal 4130 steel. They are spring steel and have a little dimple in one leg of the klip to snap into the little detent in the gear leg. I doubt that a home manufacture of this part would be much better than a bit of bubble gum. :lol:
c170b53

brake retainer

Post by c170b53 »

Try preferred airparts ,their website is great and they have cessna parts" old stock " in new condition.
GAHorn

0741000-7, bracket (brake line retainer)

Post by GAHorn »

You won't like the price, but it's available from Premier Aviation (http://www.iwantcessnaparts.com) for $60 each.
snappernp

Post by snappernp »

Thanks for the responses. I will probable order.
mit

Post by mit »

one roll of duct tape per gear leg will last for years!
Tim
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

A bead of silicone works really well.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

And of course, a large, properly re-shaped Adel clamp will do this best at lowest cost.
4583C

Post by 4583C »

Zip ties cinched up tight work well also and they won't chafe the brake line like baling wire!
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

4583C wrote:Zip ties cinched up tight work well also and they won't chafe the brake line like baling wire!
They sure do :!: I broke one of mine during a tire change and have had my eye out for the super wide ties that was on the plane when I bought it, but have not found them yet :cry: The deluxe trick would be to wrap baling wire with duct tape :D
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
mit

Post by mit »

N1478D wrote:
4583C wrote:Zip ties cinched up tight work well also and they won't chafe the brake line like baling wire!
They sure do :!: I broke one of mine during a tire change and have had my eye out for the super wide ties that was on the plane when I bought it, but have not found them yet :cry: The deluxe trick would be to wrap baling wire with duct tape :D

Now your talking! Duct tape and baling wire! :lol:
Tim
N3243A

Post by N3243A »

Actually you can make these clips out of 4130 steel. I too have used zip ties the last several years not wanting to be extorted by Cessna for the factory part. But this year, I decided to give it a try having just bought some 4130 chrome moly for other projects. The steel is 0.040" thick. Get out yer hacksaw, file and grinder. Use a dull centerpuch to make the dimple and yer set to go. It may not have quite the spring of the factory part but if you make the dimple "man-sized" it will fill the hole in the gear leg very nicely and has held like a champ, even through Alaska gravel bar operations.
Barry Byrne

Post by Barry Byrne »

So it was Friday the 13th 2001, a nice sunny spring day here in Anchorage. The ice on Lake Hood was starting to go, temperatures were all the way up in the 40s, so it looked like a good day to get off skis and back on wheels.

While reinstalling the brake lines, I decided it was time to finally break down and get a new brake line clip. The plane had one when I bought it, and so I thought what the heck. Sent Judy off to the local Cessna dealer with 60 bucks, and she came back with a new clip and $13. I was so happy, the gear legs finally matched right and left, and no cheapie tie wrap anymore!

Finished the job around 3:30, fired her up, and called Lake Hood Tower to let them know I would be taxiing over to the public ramp to exit the lake. (the lake was officially closed, but I just thought I'd be nice and tell them)

So off I go, and again being courteous, avoided what had been the ski runway and headed down the taxi channel. I was so happy, just driving along the ice, looking forward to a good summer of wheel flying.

Then, you guessed it, it happened. Ice, snow, and water started flying past the windows, and everything came to a dead halt. Oh dear me, I was sinking.

I had forgottend about a pressure ridge that had formed the previous November, and was chainsawed out in February. The ice there never got as thick as the rest of the lake, and it was a soft spot in April. You can see it as the dark line under the left wing.

So, it wasn't so bad. There happened to be the largest crane in Anchorage at the airport, and it wasn't anything for them to lift me out.

What does this all have to do with brake line clips? Well, after the plane was out of the water, and back at it's tie down spot, the only thing missing was my brand new clip. Yep, $47 dollars to hold a brake line for 90 minutes.

I'm back to tie wraps now.

And yes, the water was cold.

Barry
N4380B
1955 170B
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Once again, a clean bead of clear silicone. On my 195 I replaced the brake lines with slainless braid covered aeroquip that was siliconed on along the full length of where it laid on the rear of the leg. I thought it made a nicer less turbulent setup. Might even help get the A models to go as fast as the B. Whoops, opened that one up.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180