Refinish yokes

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

derf62

Refinish yokes

Post by derf62 »

Appreciate any input regarding the re-finishing of the control yokes. Would like to remove and have the shaft re-chromed & yoke powder coated.
GAHorn

refinishing yokes

Post by GAHorn »

The original 170 control yokes were aluminum, and frequently are pitted such that powder-coating does not produce uniform results. Chemically stripping, filling with body-fillers, painting with Dupont Imron, and then clear-coating produces a result that appears as if powder coated. If originality is desired, the Cessna logo decal may be applied prior to the clear-coat.
Bill Venohr

Post by Bill Venohr »

I think Curtis Brown was having his control wheels redone. Any feedback Curtis??
Bill Venohr
N4044V
Aurora, CO
Curtis Brown

yokes

Post by Curtis Brown »

I had Airborne Coating in Ok. City, OK. do mine. They powder coated the yokes in black and they looked good. I did not have the shafts rechromed. It do not seem practical at the time. The yokes have to be removed and I was expensive.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I've had several items including Beech yokes powder-coated by a local guy in Houston (who normally powder-coats automotive parts for car shows) and he did each piece for only $20. That was in '95 and they still look new. Send me a PM and I'll try to locate his info for you. (But don't let him know what aircraft powder-coaters charge.)