Instrument Panel

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

schefler

Instrument Panel

Post by schefler »

I am the proud owner of 5475C , 1950 170A, which is scattered around my driveway, garage and attic. I have been dismantling the instrument panel and find it difficult to remove all the instruments. I would like to put in a new panel and would ask members if they know of any panel manufacturers. Since I am retired USAF, I don't have a huge bank account so I am looking for either a reasonable manufacturer or some place that makes templates. I will rid myself of the overlays.

Thanks for any help.

Art Schefler
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Art,

If you are talking about just the shock-mounted part that in your A-model only has seven 3-1/8-inch instrument holes, stock aluminum plate is available for you to cut your own, using the old one for a template if it's not cut up too badly. I don't recall off the top of my head, but others here can tell you the alloy and thickness plate you'd have to get. If it's the fixed part of the panel where the engne instruments, push-pull controls,and switches are mounted, it's more involved due to the fact that it also serves as a structural bulkhead.

For $2 each, Velvet*** at headquarters can provide you with copies of paperwork on modifications that others in the Association have done on their panels. These are the ones that show up in the MX Library portion of these forums:

INSTRUMENT PANEL, AVION RESEARCH GROUP (170B)

INSTRUMENT PANEL, CENTER STACK (170-A-B)

INSTRUMENT PANEL, CENTER STACK, ALUM PANEL (170)

INSTRUMENT PANEL, MODIFIED C172 (170B)

INSTRUMENT PANEL, REPLACE COVER ASSEMBLIES/PLEXIGLAS PLATE (170)

INSTRUMENT PANEL, T CONFIGURATION (170A-B)

Hope this helps, and good luck on your project!

Miles

*** Mod note: Velvet has retired since this post was originally made and now our Exec. Sec’y is Jan.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Art, you don't say where you are located, but I'd bet you can find a local mechanic or shop who can assist you in this most cost-effectively. (Now THAT's a relative term at best!)
I've replaced a couple of instrument panels in my own hangar and that's the only "affordable" way to do it in my opinion. The cost of labor and materials these days can make it pretty costly. Here's some things to think about:
Will you be purchasing new/overhauled instruments? Or will you be primarily just re-installing the ones you remove? New/Overhauled instruments can cost a couple of thousand bucks right off the bat.
What about instrument lighting? Will you be using post lights? Or instruments which are internally or bezel-lighted? This will be necessary to consider in the design stage. And what about placards? How do you intend to label and placard the panel in accordance with needs/wishes/regulations?
The matter of removing your existing panel, then fabricating and installing a new flat panel will not be just a simple bolt-in job.
You should take a piece of cardboard, and cut it to fit, then use xerox copies of your gauge faces, or simulated cutouts to lay your gauges out on the cardboard panel. Keep in mind that what lies behind your panel in the form of structure may limit where you can locate equipment.
When you get it all laid out, then take your model to a shop or mechanic and get their input and bid.
If your present panel is not "chopped" up, then you might be able to sell it to those more interested in "originality", and you might be able to recoup a small part of your project costs.
If you wish to pursue the idea of someone else making it completely to your specification, you might visit with Advantage Avionics 951-372-9555 (their work can be viewed in the Aircraft Spruce catalog) or by calling Avion (408) 732 2027 or visiting their website http://www.avion.com/MainMenu/menu.html (Beware: Avion often has issues with documentation so be on your toes.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

gahorn wrote: If your present panel is not "chopped" up, then you might be able to sell it to those more interested in "originality", and you might be able to recoup a small part of your project costs.
Having recently rebuilt mine to original (or thereabouts) I can attest to the scarcity of those parts. :roll: If you do get rid of them, please don't consign them to the scrap heap. Put them up for sale so another member/owner may benefit.
Doug
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

A couple of instrument panel cautions---
1. I've been advised by others to use the utmost caution in dealing with AVION.
2. If you install any instruments in other than original locations on the panel, be very sure they do not interfere with the full movement of the control yoke behind the panel.
BL
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I realize another participant had a personal experience which was less than satisfying for him with regard to Avion's position regarding certification of their instrument panel. I'm not taking a side on that matter. But in all fairness, I feel it should be pointed out that an aircraft owner is the person ultimately responsible to seeing to the airworthiness certification of any work/modification performed on his aircraft.
Avion is very careful on their website and in their literature to emphasize that their panels, as designed for certain aircraft including the 170, does not have any STC basis of approval, and that the owner must see to that matter, most likely in the form of a 337/Field Approval. This is true of any/all new panels installed in 170's with the exception of genuine Cessna panels or owner-produced replacements.
In the case which was brought to my attention, a previous owner modified the aircraft without proper approval, then sold the aircraft to a new owner who, perhaps unknowingly, had not adequately investigated the airworthiness certification of that aircraft and modification prior to his purchase. Demand by the new owner to Avion for the company to provide airworthiness certification for what was basically an amateur, third-party installation was, understandably, unfruitful.
Be thorough when investigating modifications and when purchasing aircraft, that all the work undertaken is properly approved and documented. (Here's another caveat: Just because a pre-buy inspection of the aircraft logs shows Form 337's for modifications, doesn't mean the FAA ever approved or was ever shipped/received a copy of that Form as required by regulation. A title search should also obtain copies of the entire aircraft files from FAA-OKC, and those copies should contain any/all Form 337's held in the aircraft logs purporting to represent major repairs/alterations. So-called "field approvals" will have Block 3 of the Form 337 signed by an FAA Inspector. Any 337's on other major repairs should also have a copy on file at OKC. I have seen several aircraft which had 337's which were never on file at FAA-OKC, and which later proved to be bogus, unairworthy repairs.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Indopilot

Post by Indopilot »

Just to add another layer of snarl to the 337/ Field Approval situation. Talking to my PMI (Primary Maintenance Inspector) this year. He admitted that in the 80's he was aware of situations/reports that the FAA
was sometimes less than diligent in recording/posting legitimate 337's to the A/C's record.( unusual guy) So not only do you have the bogus, never sent in and approved 337's :x but you also have the occasional A/C with legit 337's never recorded by the FAA. :( Kind of like the Controller responded after being asked if he had just assigned the same altitude ,heading and airway to opposing aircraft, " Yep, you all be careful out there" 8O
52 170B s/n 20446
56 172 s/n 28162
Echo Weed eater, Jezebeel
flyingredyeti

Re: Instrument Panel

Post by flyingredyeti »

I don't suppose anyone has a CAD file built for the floating panel, P/N 0513004-11? I would like to have a replacement for mine cut locally, but with the top center positions left uncut, in order to install a panel dock for my Garmin 396. I'd be willing to pay/give a donation for a copy of the file.

Thanks for your help!

-Joshua
First time aircraft owner: '26C A gleaming Cessna 170B with 180 horsepower: the perfect mechanical bird.
dstates

Post by dstates »

flyingredyeti wrote:I don't suppose anyone has a CAD file built for the floating panel, P/N 0513004-11? I would like to have a replacement for mine cut locally, but with the top center positions left uncut, in order to install a panel dock for my Garmin 396. I'd be willing to pay/give a donation for a copy of the file.

Thanks for your help!

-Joshua
Joshua,

I received this file from one of the folks on the Facebook Cessna 170 group. I cannot comment on its accuracy as I have not used it or checked it myself. You would need to do that.

Doug
Attachments
Floating Panels_v3.dxf
(129.27 KiB) Downloaded 351 times
N1235D - 1951 170A - SN: 20118
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

flyingredyeti wrote:I don't suppose anyone has a CAD file built for the floating panel, P/N 0513004-11? I would like to have a replacement for mine cut locally, but with the top center positions left uncut, in order to install a panel dock for my Garmin 396. I'd be willing to pay/give a donation for a copy of the file.

Thanks for your help!

-Joshua

Joshua
Since portable devices come and go over time, you might consider a temporary mount for your 396 on the left side of the panel instead of a permanent mount in your instrument panel.

The picture shows how I mounted my 396 by making a simple angle mount out of .040 aluminum sheet attached to two windshield screws to hold it in place. If your windshield is held by rivets, two could be drilled out and replaced by screws. I used self-adhesive velcro from Home Depot to attach the supplied 396 base so it can be easily removed when a newer model portable is used. Extra cord is coiled up underneath the mount to help support the GPS and de-clutter the wiring.

The location is very user friendly both for line of sight monitoring and when making changes. The best feature of mounting like that is it does not affect the original panel.

Click on picture to enlarge.
Garmin 396 side mount
Garmin 396 side mount
Last edited by hilltop170 on Sat May 08, 2021 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
flyingredyeti

Post by flyingredyeti »

dstates wrote:

Thanks for your help!

-Joshua
Joshua,

I received this file from one of the folks on the Facebook Cessna 170 group. I cannot comment on its accuracy as I have not used it or checked it myself. You would need to do that.

Doug
Thanks, Doug! I'll check this out against a stock panel when I get the chance, and let you know how accurate it is. I appreciate your generosity.

-Joshua
First time aircraft owner: '26C A gleaming Cessna 170B with 180 horsepower: the perfect mechanical bird.
flyingredyeti

Post by flyingredyeti »

hilltop170 wrote:

Thanks for your help!

-Joshua

Joshua
Since portable devices come and go over time, you might consider a temporary mount for your 396 on the left side of the panel instead of a permanent mount in your instrument panel.

The picture shows how I mounted my 396 by making a simple angle mount out of .032 aluminum sheet attached to two windshield screws to hold it in place. If your windshield is held by rivets, two could be drilled out and replaced by screws. I used self-adhesive velcro from Home Depot to attach the supplied 396 base so it can be easily removed when a newer model portable is used. Extra cord is coiled up underneath the mount to help support the GPS and de-clutter the wiring.

The location is very user friendly both for line of sight monitoring and when making changes. The best feature of mounting like that is it does not affect the original panel.

Click on picture to enlarge.
28FA3150-4A86-4F20-8B25-63F27EBB6644.png
Richard,

I think that 's a fairly pragmatic suggestion. I don't generally like peripheral equipment hanging about in the cockpit, but the mere fact the the stock panel doesn't allow for a clean installation of the panel dock makes yours a point to consider. My panel is an example of the result of a previous owner's attempt to find a rectangle into two round holes- it's ugly. Anywhoo, I've located an unmodified replacement panel, as removed from a 172 that I will keep on hand until I decide what to do next. I will consider installing the factory panel with the 396 on the side, or I will use Doug's drawing to have a replacement cut from .090" stock, omitting the top center cutouts. Thanks for the suggestion!

-Joshua
cessna170bdriver

flyingredyeti wrote:... I will consider installing the factory panel with the 396 on the side, or I will use Doug's drawing to have a replacement cut from .090" stock, omitting the top center cutouts. Thanks for the suggestion!

-Joshua
The original panel in my ‘55B model was 0.125 thick. Were the ‘52 and earlier panels 0.090? Just curious.
Miles

— Thomas Browne
flyingredyeti

Post by flyingredyeti »

I'm not sure yet, Miles. I haven't put a caliper on mine yet, which is a '54 model. Heh, I took an educated guess, and got called out on it. Although, to be fair, I'm still in the planning stage.

-Joshua
cessna170bdriver

Sorry Joshua, I didn’t intent to call you out; in fact I missed the fact that you have a later B-model. :oops:

At the time I built a new panel for mine (2010), I got the sheet from Aircraft Spruce and the smallest I could get was 2’x4’, enough for two panels, and sold the half I didn’t use to another forum member. I did my own hole cutting with drill bits and hole saws, the major difference from the old panel being 3-1/8” instrument holes where the AN gyros had been, and leaving the top center hole out entirely. Had I been placing large square holes, I would have given more consideration to getting it water jet or plasma cut.
Miles

— Thomas Browne