Anti-Collision Light

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

pif_sonic

Anti-Collision Light

Post by pif_sonic »

I was wondering which Anti-Collision light is approved for the Cessna 170A? Also where is the best (or approved) placed to put it? Thanks in advance for the info.

Wayne
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

My personal preference is the Whelen wingtip strobes. They piggy-back onto the nav lights and it makes a nice, highly visible multiple flash. Cost is about $600.
If you're only considering a single strobe installation, they also have one of those, their model HR-CFA, available in red, white, or combo.
The prices of the single units have shot up in recent years. They are now in the $350-range.
A less expensive, but also less bright/possibly less-reliable/ slightly more complicated installation system is the Aero Flash, available from the same distributors. (The AeroFlash systems are not approved for installation on 170's according to their latest catalog, either, another consideration. The Whelen units are already approved.)
Aircraft Spruce handles both mfrs, as well as other suppliers like Chief, Wag Aero, etc.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Watkinsnv

Post by Watkinsnv »

THE FAA LOOKS AT AEROFLASH AS A GOOD THING AND THERE HAS NEVER BEEN A PROBLEM GETTNG THEM OK'D IF YOU LOOK AT THE AEROFLASH AIRCRAFT APPROVAL LIST IT LISTS ABOUT EVERY CESSNA BUT THE 17O. LANCE
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

I was able to get an Aeroflash system easily approved about two years ago in the Allentown, PA FSDO. The system had previously been installed but there was no paperwork.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I certainly wasn't trying to denigrate the AeroFlash system. Hope no one felt they needed to defend their ownership of that system. I was only attempting to be as helpful and as accurate as possible when comparing the two systems. The Cessna Pilot's Assoc. did a comparative article a number of years back. In part, they said:

"The Aeroflash kit 156-0003 (14 Volt) or 156-0004 (28 Volt)
comes with two power supplies that mount to existing
mountings in the wings and two strobe light assemblies that
attach to the existing position light assemblies.
... Due to changes in Cessna wing tip designs
fitting the light assemblies on Cessna singles prior to 1972
would require some reworking of the wing tip and Aeroflash
does not provide instructions on how to do this. ...

...While the Aeroflash strobes are probably the least
expensive way to get strobe lights installed on your aircraft,
they are also a case of “You get what you pay for”.
Compared to what is available from Whelen, the Aeroflash
units are not nearly as bright a light. The power supplies
have only a ten joule output and when this is applied to
the light you get approximately a 100 candle flash through
a clear lens. This is adequate for night operations, but it
will not be noticeable during the day while some of the
other high powered systems show up even in bright sunlight.

...For Cessna aircraft prior to 1972 I (CPA author) would recommend
using the Whelen single power supply
system and not giving much consideration to the Aeroflash
system. While the Aeroflash system is less
expensive, there will be difficulties in mating the light
assemblies to the Cessna wing tips, wiring will still have
to be run in the wings and mounts will have to be made at
the wing tips for the power supply. A lot of work to go
through where for the same or less amount of labor and a
couple of hundred dollars more you can have a system
that is visible day or night"

If your budget dictates the AeroFlash system, then I wouldn't hesitate to buy it as opposed to operating without an anti-collision light. Certainly ANY strobelight system will be better than the obsolete incandescent-type anti-collision beacons. In my hallucination-induced opinion. :P

(If you're in the throes of selecting and installing a system, and you wish, email or PM me and I'll email you the entire pdf-file report.)
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

George

I didn't feel I needed to defend the installation on my plane as I didn't install it. I'm not sure I'd install an Aeroflash system if I was doing the installation either.

Just pointing out that in fact if you should happen to come across an Aeroflash system you'd like to install your more than likely to be able to get the installation approved on a 170.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Yes, Bruce. I actually suspect the only reason the AeroFlash was not approved for 170's is because the mfr didn't do the homework to describe the installation procedures for the earlier Cessnas. AeroFlash actually became the "factory" installation (after 1972 I believe.) (Go figure. Cessna using the low-bidder. Who'da ever thought?) :wink:
But the point is, Cessna clearly thought it a worthwhile system for the later single Cessnas. It just wasn't approved for the earlier ones,...meaning that anyone desiring that system will have to find some basis of approval ... or go without any.
skifast13

Re: Anti-Collision Light

Post by skifast13 »

By chance does anybody have an AeroFlash 156-0003 strobe box that they're willing to source for me? I verified the box is faulty by swapping tips with the working side. Thx in advance!

Miles
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I see a few available @ online auction sites.
skifast13

Post by skifast13 »

All the eBay power supplies listed indicate that they are intermittently faulty.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

skifast13 wrote:All the eBay power supplies listed indicate that they are intermittently faulty.
That’s one of the hazard of buying used equp’t on ebay… the typical lack of provenance . Anything electrical or avionic is very suspect.

https://simhq.com/store/Aeroflash-Strob ... 23085.html