2 inch Radio Above T Yoke on 170A

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Gerald_Glaser

2 inch Radio Above T Yoke on 170A

Post by Gerald_Glaser »

Does anyone know if a two inch high GPS/Comm will fit at the top of the panel just right of center. The space looks tight to me and was wondering if anyone has done this successfully.

My current panel has the Tach and 2-1/4 EGT in this space right now. My radios are down below the co-pilot and are hard to read and to reach.

My C170A has the original T yoke and I would like to work around it if possible.

Gerry
Flying N1298D a 1951 C170A
GAHorn

Re: 2 inch Radio Above T Yoke on 170A

Post by GAHorn »

gaglaser wrote:Does anyone know if a two inch high GPS/Comm will fit at the top of the panel just right of center. The space looks tight to me and was wondering if anyone has done this successfully.

My current panel has the Tach and 2-1/4 EGT in this space right now. My radios are down below the co-pilot and are hard to read and to reach.

My C170A has the original T yoke and I would like to work around it if possible.

Gerry
Just so you'll not feel negelected,Gerry,....the reason no one's replied to your msg is because this is not something that can be categorically answered. Very simply, each airplane and installation will have to be judged as a custom installation. YOu'll have to take measurements, etc, and decide this one on your own. Good luck.
planepilot1

Post by planepilot1 »

Gary, I have a '56 C-172, same basic instrument panel as C-170's as far as size, depth,etc, and I too have wondered about putting something in the general area you ask about. I have a Magellan 5000 Skynav GPS and have done some measuring and I am of the "opinion" that there is room in the center of the panel, left to right, and just below the glare shield to install this unit and still clear the yoke "T". Actually I think there is about 3 inches of vertical room. Keep in mind however that the top of the panel where the glareshield is located tapers downward as it goes toward the windshield. Good luck. Keep us informed as to what you find out.

Frank N6888A
Frank Stephenson
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Remember also to make absolutely certain your installation will not allow the radio to drop from turbulence (or hard landings, Joe) and interfere with the controls.
Gerald_Glaser

Installed new GPS comm

Post by Gerald_Glaser »

:D
I have just completed upgrading my C170A to IFR. I ended up installing a Garmin 300XL at the top of th panel above the Yoke.
I selected the Garmin because I was familiar with their portables (but the portables have better software designs than the IFR certified units.)

The alternative for me was the comparable UPS model. The other reason for selecting the Garmin is it is only 5-3/4 deep (The UPS is over 11 inches deep).

I now have radio and nav gear in easy reach with the display in plain sight of both the pilot and co-pilot (though I put the CDI/OBS over to the left of the pilot.

The radio shop (Pacific-Coast Av in Fresno, CA) said it was a tight fit to get it all in, but when you look under the panel it looks really really clean.
gg
Flying N1298D a 1951 C170A
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

Gerry, sure would enjoy seeing a picture if you have one. Sounds like a very nice installation.
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
mit

Post by mit »

Check this out. I installed one in mine they are nice.

http://www.avion.com/
Tim
planepilot1

Radio's & GPS's in panel

Post by planepilot1 »

Just returned from the Las Vegas convention and saw quite a few different arrangements of radios in the 170 panels. It has long been known that you can modify the yoke on 170's & early 172's by cutting the verticle arm (?) off that that forms the bottom of the T that holds the yokes and replace it with a Y yoke from a newer 172 or possibly even a 152. This is probably the best method as it allows a true "center" stack. However after talking to several members & looking at planes, there is an alternative. Depending upon the size & depth of the avonics to be put in the panel, you can mount about 3 units just to the right of center. The size is critical as the radios/gps, etc must be just to the right of center to clear the yoke center (the T) when it comes back toward the panel when pulling back on the yoke and still be just left of the copilots yoke and high enough to clear the horizonital bar with the chains. The tolerances are close, but they can be make to work. I realize this probably isn't a good description, but it can work to get the radio ('s) and/or gps up out of the subpanel to where you can better see them plus it looks good also.

Would be nice to see some photos of the placement of radios, etc and have someone who has done it to do some drawings.

Frank Stephenson N6888A
Frank Stephenson