Buying a new clock

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Did you ever see the close up photos that guy had of those clocks disassembled? If not, I'll email them to you when I get home. They're a work of art mechanically.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

I would really enjoy seeing those, thanks George.
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

George-
I corrected my original post about the alarms. To answer your question, no, you can't hear the lights blinking over the engine noise. I should have been more specific. Those old Navy clocks have any Radium on the dials? DON'T ANSWER THAT QUESTION !!!!!! You either Joe!

Russ-
As far as being a distraction, the EI clock is super easy to use once the initial programming is done to your tastes. The timer can be set while things are relaxed before you get into the approach environment. Hitting the start button and watching the countdown timer is a heck of a lot easier than trying to figure out what is 2 minutes and 39 seconds from right............NOW, while you're trying to do the four other "T" things.

I don't think you are over the top trying to insure the clock is approved, but if you can find one claimed to have been used as original equipment I wouldn't hestiate. If they are advertised as Cessna, Piper, Beech, etc original equipment I would take them at their word. None of those manufacturers put different clocks on IFR and VFR-only airplanes.

I especially would not want a replacement that required drilling other holes in the original panel.

I would give you the old wind-up clock I removed from my 170 but I think you already posted your feelings on them. I hardly ever had to wind it up because it would stop as soon as the engine was shut down and the vibrations stopped. Then, next flight after engine start I could jiggle the winder and it would start back up.

I also don't have any problem with flying 170s IFR. I loved it in the 1970s and 1980s and I'll do it again when -15D is finished and re-certified. I got my instrument rating in the 170 back in 1979 and flew it IFR over 150 hours, mostly at night back and forth from either east Texas or West Texas to Dallas for the weekends. Most of the trips would have been flown anyway (being young, dumb, and....). It sure was nice to already be on an IFR flight plan if conditions went down as they frequently did and have Center to talk to and be there if I needed help. With the 170, I never did have any problems while flying IFR. I think if you keep the plane maintained properly it is as or more reliable than any other single engine plane. I know I would like landing off-airport at night at 45 or 50mph in the 170 more than 80 or 90mph in a Bonanza or C-210.

Hey, this is my 100th post! Hopefully more beef than B.S.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

hilltop170 wrote:...George-
I corrected my original post about the alarms. To answer your question, no, you can't hear the lights blinking over the engine noise. I should have been more specific. Those old Navy clocks have any Radium on the dials? DON'T ANSWER THAT QUESTION !!!!!! You either Joe!
I also don't have any problem with flying 170s IFR. ...
The reason they were "overhauled" apparently was to remove the radium faces. They were NOS in every other respect.
Every once in a while the Navy auctions off NOS/obsolete equipment at the Depot level. I attended once such auction back in the late '70s and was amazed at all the "stuff" people like Ol'Gar and me consider "gold" is to be had for pennies. Some guy apparently bought up a big stock of these Waltham clocks (I've seen 'em in all sorts of military every-type and civilian heavy-iron) and sold them for $200 and up online. I bargained him down to $120 for one and have never been happier with any aircraft instrument.

Check this out for the specifics of this clock:
http://www.walthamclocks.com/a13al.htm

and

http://www.walthamclocks.com/products.htm

AND... GET THIS>>>> A TWELVE-MINUTE CLOCK!!!
http://www.walthamclocks.com/12minclock.htm
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
mbram

Post by mbram »

Waltham aircraft clock corporation
2364 South US Hwy 231
Ozark Al 36360

Waltham aircraft clock pucrchased the Waltham aircraft mechanical clock line
I requested a quote on the model below.
They said they would return the quote by the end of day.
If the Navy paid $618 for a overhaul it will be interesting to see the price on
a new 8 day clock.

http://www.walthamclocks.com/a13a2e.htm
Mike
N 9545A
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I suspect that price was reflective of the radium-disposal problem. (heh-heh, get it?)
mbram

Post by mbram »

Well maybe it was the radium disposal problem however they are very
proud of the new ones they are manufacturing.
The quote came back $1195.00 30 day delivery time.
I picked out a model with the second minute hand and without internal lights
Of course there is still an advantage of a reliable mechanical clock.
When everything else fails the clock compass E6b and #2 pencil will still work.
Mike
N 9545A
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Yep. So does the $4.95 wristwatch from WalMart. (But it doesn't look good in the panel with all that duct tape.)
Yep, Joe.... Looks like you and I did OK. (Course, it's possible that they run slow in red planes and fast in green ones.) :wink:
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

gahorn wrote:Yep. So does the $4.95 wristwatch from WalMart. (But it doesn't look good in the panel with all that duct tape.)
Yep, Joe.... Looks like you and I did OK. (Course, it's possible that they run slow in red planes and fast in green ones.) :wink:
Isn't that the truth! $120 was a bargain at todays prices!

Nothing like having a fast clock in an old slow airplane! :lol:
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Reminds me of when the iron-curtain fell, and some free-world scientists visited Star City, Siberia. (The secret technology center in USSR.)
While making a tour of a particular solid-state/mfr'g plant, the tour-guide proudly turned to the visitors and announced,

"Velcome! Velcome! Velcome to Mother Russia's finest assembly plant....Makers of the largest microchips and fastest vristvatches in the vorld!"

(He meant to say that the plant was the largest microchip producer in Russia, and the plant also produced wristwatches at the rate of 2 per minute, making it the fastest assembly-line production of such items in the world.)
mbram

Post by mbram »

Russ
The approved (PMA) P/N from Spruce is
Quartz aircraft clock electric
10-00459 standard 198.95
10-00460 14V lighted 226.95

Both in stock (west)
Of course I have a roll of double sided tape if want to look for the
4.95 version at Wal Mart and you know that I am good with
tape. I know you have seen a few of my F28 repairs.
Last edited by mbram on Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
N 9545A
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Russ,
When you get that eleven hundred dollar clock installed, please post a picture of your plane. I've never seen what a Cessna 170 looks like sporting an ELEVEN HUNDRED DOLLAR clock. (I really tense up just trying to type it!)
I have a snazzy digital model with two elapsed time stop watch functions that I bought at Radio Shack, Flight Shop, for $9.95. So help me, in two and a half years it has not varied even one minute from the time off of the GPS satelite system.
It's probably the best instrument on my panel.
The last time I looked, the tide had gone out and the fluid level in my wet compass was about in the middle of the glass. The rest of the instruments are almost that good.
I try not to fly much hard instruments anymore.
BL
cfiatzph

Post by cfiatzph »

Have'nt read this tread much but why not a clock from Electronics International. We have all our engine gauges plus a engine monitor and a fuel totalizer from them works really great. I don't know if your trying to stick to orginal but this would be a awesome add on. Is your aircraft IFR or do much Flight following or Class B? This is your ticket right here :

http://www.buy-ei.com/Altitude%20Alert% ... ASC-5A.htm

This thing has a Ten year battery and all kinds of goodies.
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

russfarris wrote:Richard, I considered one of them there fancy clocks, but ruled it out for two reasons - a simple second hand is all I need, since setting a fancy
clock is just another distraction to turn my airplane upside down and second, I'm cheap. 90 bucks sounds better than 200 to 400 dollars.

I'm as much as a stickler (almost) as George for being legal, since both of us depend on aviation for our meal tickets. As many of you guys do.

So, am I being all little over the top on this clock business? For example, for a VFR installation would this be an issue? (Well, since it's hard wired to the electrical system, probably...) Opinions, please...Russ Farris
Russ,

If all you really need is a second hand, why don't you just attach a wind-up stopwatch to your kneeboard? You can add a preflight checklist item to make sure it's wound. :wink: Even if the panel clock doesn't work, it'll still look original.

Miles
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I think his problem is that he flies his 170 IFR and therefore is attempting to meet the equipment requirements of FAR 91.