Del Lehmann, Mountain Airframe, Mena, AR

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

blueldr

Re: Del Lehmann, Mountain Airframe, Mena, AR

Post by blueldr »

Somehow, I seem to be loseing something in the translation of the above.
BL
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

blueldr wrote:Somehow, I seem to be loseing something in the translation of the above.
I removed the post and banned the poster. (It resembled one of Ol'Gar's drunken posts but then I realized it was just unintelligible ....)

On second thought...it DID resemble Ol'Gar! :lol:

(well, except for the better language-skills:
unintelligible wrote:I’m pleased for this valuable great forum; this could be the variety of subject that sustains me although out the day. We’ve generally heard been lately seeking near to with your web-site best suited right after I observed about these from a near good friend and was delighted when I was inside a place to obtain it adhering to wanting out for some time.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

gahorn wrote:
blueldr wrote:Somehow, I seem to be loseing something in the translation of the above.
I removed the post and banned the poster. (It resembled one of Ol'Gar's drunken posts but then I realized it was just unintelligible ....)

On second thought...it DID resemble Ol'Gar! :lol:

(well, except for the better language-skills:
unintelligible wrote:I’m pleased for this valuable great forum; this could be the variety of subject that sustains me although out the day. We’ve generally heard been lately seeking near to with your web-site best suited right after I observed about these from a near good friend and was delighted when I was inside a place to obtain it adhering to wanting out for some time.
WHATCHU MEEN DRIUNKIN AS POSTS :oops: :oops: IMA NOT TOOEVER DRUNKIN LEST IMA BIN DRINKINWHITCHOO AN I MITE REASEMBLE A POST BUT GOTS TOO MUSH BEEAR BELLI FER U TO THINK IMA DRUNKER POST NAOW IFN U CAN REED MY RITIN U SORELY CAN REED HIS . . .
OLE GAR SEZ - 4 Boats, 4 Planes, 4 houses. I've got to quit collecting!
marathonrunner

Post by marathonrunner »

Dude...You been dipping into the Miller lite again :lol:
It's not done till it's overdone
paulbritton88

Post by paulbritton88 »

Del sold his shop to Hampton Aviation, where he now works.
http://hamptonaviation.com/Repair.html

Hampton Aviation
196 Highway 980
Mena, AR71953-8658

Phone: (479) 394-5290
Fax: (479) 394-0506
del@hamptonaviation.com

Post by wingnut »

I would like to clarify; I did not sell Mountain Airframe Services. I sold assets/inventory, but not to Hampton Aviation. I have worked for Hampton Aviation since March 2012. Mountain Airframe, although dormant, will always be mine.
No problem Paul, just wanted to set the record straight.

For those with inquiring minds, Hampton has a long history that began in 1965. I began working for Hampton in 1986. We do the same type work, primarily structural repair and modifications, complete restorations, and can coordinate any type of work imaginable with other businesses right here on the field. My personal contact info is the same as listed in the directory.
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

I have been talking with Del Lehmann about him opening his shop back up. Apparently Hampton Aviation has decided to concentrate on larger, corporate and turbine aircraft so Del decided to go back in business as he prefers the smaller planes. This is very good news for General Aviation and our older planes in particular.

I got this from Del tonight-
wingnut wrote:I can't remember if I've already mentioned; I have purchased a Cessna factory fuselage jig and factory wing jig, along with a full shop of machine tool and sheet metal equipment. We are also starting to produce and will be getting FAA/PMA on many parts for these older planes. If you have any ideas on parts that could be advantageous for us to consider producing, let me know. What I would like to begin doing is donating a % of parts sales to the respective type clubs. We need to keep these older planes flying and type clubs alive.

I'm in the same hangar and looking at leasing another. Our parts fab is going to require some space.

All contact info is the same as always, except maybe my email.
Del

Mountain Airframe
161 Airport Lane
Mena, AR 71953
P: 479-437-3333
mtnairframe@hotmail.com
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
counsellj

Post by counsellj »

Wow, that is great news!
n3833v

Post by n3833v »

I am glad that some people have the knowledge to be able to see ahead to the future and willingness to make these things happen. I applaud you for this endeavor. Our classics will keep flying with much needed tender care.
Thanks,
John
John Hess
Past President 2018-2021
President 2016-2018, TIC170A
Vice President 2014-2016, TIC170A
Director 2005-2014, TIC170A
N3833V Flying for Fun
'67 XLH 900 Harley Sportster
EAA Chapter 390 Pres since 2006
K3KNT
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Dam, the first good reason I've heard to move the Arkansas. :lol:

Seriously, I hope this works out well for Dell. We need more like him in the business.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Best news I've heard in a long time!

We need a convention in the Ozarks!
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
learaviator

Post by learaviator »

We are taking one of our Dromaders to him for a spar repair.......nice knowledgeable guy on the phone.....a great find!
"You can only tie the record for flying low"
1950 170A N9907A 180hp. STOL
jlwild

Post by jlwild »

There are now four 170's in for repair with Del. I arrived this afternoon, in N3415D, to have some aging aircraft repairs. So, my ship is number 4. Member planes belong to: Paul Wood, Miles Bowen, and Mike Purpura, plus mine. Del and his crew are doing excellent work. Del walked me around, showing it all off 8)
Jim Wildharber, Kennesaw, GA
Past President TIC170A (2010-12) and Georgia Area Representative
'55 170B, N3415D, SN:26958, O-300D; People's Choice '06 Kelowna, B.C., Best Modified '07 Galveston, TX, Best Modified '08 Branson, MO.
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

jlwild wrote:There are now four 170's in for repair with Del. I arrived this afternoon, in N3415D, to have some aging aircraft repairs. So, my ship is number 4. Member planes belong to: Paul Wood, Miles Bowen, and Mike Purpura, plus mine. Del and his crew are doing excellent work. Del walked me around, showing it all off 8)
If 15D needed repairs, I may as well quit flying 56D! Your airplane is about as perfect as they come, Jim.

Del's the man for the job, though! Hopefully I can give him some business before he retires.
A&P/IA

Post by A&P/IA »

Dear members-
I am a new member, so please bear with me! I am an Alaskan A+P/IA with almost 30 years of experience in the aviation maintenance industry. Lots of experience with all makes and models of varying years, and of course Cessna is one of the ones on top. I'm not a pilot- my "better half" (my mate) does the flying- I just keep it safe, sound, and reliable. We currently fly a beautifully restored '55 170B we bought a couple of years ago that I'm trying to get a few paperwork issues resolved- one of which is an undocumented right wing taxi/landing light installation. Nice job, but no paperwork was submitted. I came across your forum and happened to find a post from Del Lehmann. He included his telephone number, so I gave him a call. Mr. Lehmann very generously helped me out, providing me with information and a contact for a DER I knew I'd need to submit a 337 field approval for the taxi/landing light installation. The aviation community is extremely lucky to have folks like him among us- experts in their field that will take the time to talk with someone they don't know from Adam, about such problems as undocumented installations, and be willing to help out. Del is a true gentleman and a professional, and I thank him very much for his help and assistance!