Oil Sump

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

davevramp

Oil Sump

Post by davevramp »

The Oil Sump For the c145-2, I have seen on the 5 bolt sumps some with a flow splitter that is riveted in the tee section and some with out. Which one in early or late design? What one is considered better?
Thanks
Dave
cessna170bdriver

Re: Oil Sump

Post by cessna170bdriver »

davevramp wrote:The Oil Sump For the c145-2, I have seen on the 5 bolt sumps some with a flow splitter that is riveted in the tee section and some with out. Which one in early or late design? What one is considered better?
Thanks
Dave
I'd go with the later sump with the flow splitter cast integrally with the sump. If you have a sump with no splitter at all, it's probably one in which the steel riveted-in splitter has fallen out. (I say "probably" as I'm not totally familiar with the history on these sumps, and there may be some old sumps out there that came with no splitter at all.)

I recently had a friend with a C-145 in his '48 recently find some "mystery parts" in his intake manifold, one lodged in an intake valve seat, essentially reducing him to a 5-cylinder engine. He brought them to a recent EAA meeting to see if anyone knew what they were. I didn't immediately recognize them but when he told us where he found them, I was able to identify the parts as two halves of what was originally a single part - the riveted-in flow divider. He repaired his cylinder and flew the airplane before I identified the part(s). He says it's running fine and will leave it as is for the short amount of time he has before overhaul.

When I get home tonight, I'll post some pictures of his broken flow divider, and one of an intact part on my "spare" C-145. Sorry, but I don't have photos of the later version with the divider cast in place (like on the O-300A I'm running now), but it's pretty obvious when you look in the carb port.

Miles
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Here's a couple of pictures of the steel flow divider found in earler sumps:
100_1692lo_res.jpg
This is what one looks like still intact.

100_1694lo_res.jpg
This is what my buddy found in his engine. Guess which one he found in the cylinder intake port? :wink:

Miles