windshield

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

dale legroulx

windshield

Post by dale legroulx »

I'm restoring my 48 170 and am looking for a good source for a one piece replacement.Any installation instructions will be greatly appreciated as this is my first attempt(hopefully my last)Thank you.
GAHorn

Re: windshield

Post by GAHorn »

Great Lakes, LP Aeroplastics, and Cee Bailey all make windshields for the 170.

All 170's have "one piece" windshields. They also left the factory with a center-stip for strengthening purposes. The center strip also ensures that the windshield will not "pop" out in flight. (Windshields rarely "cave in"... they pop out, which can lead to loss of the airplane.)

The so-called "one-piece" STC/Mod is actually approval to remove that center strengthening strip, the major difference being to add screws through/along the top of the windshield. Incorrect compliance with the installation instructions can lead to cracking and failure/loss of the windshield.

While it's a personal preference, I am not concerned with the loss of view through that 1" of center strip after learning the above information. I prefer the strength and appearance of the original design. There are lots of folks who prefer their 170's to look like later Cessna's however.

The makers of the windshield can provide you with the STC installation instructions.

http://www.ceebaileys.com/

http://www.lpaero.com/index.html

http://www.aircraftwindshields.com/
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

I have the LP window which I believe is harder to install than the ceebailey window. The " one piece without the strap" window is thicker than the stock window. This does not affect the bottom retaining strap but requires the top retaining strap to be removed and a new retainer (comes with the new window) installed. Its different in that unlike the old retainer where the window simply slips straight in, the new retainer grabs the window with a lip. Thus the major difference in the installation is the top of the window is held in by a lip or edge in the window itself. In the LP product the metal clip (windshield retainer), runs the length of the fwd carry through spar and the FWD rivets of that carry through must be drilled out. Then the window is installed and fitted (with wings on), the clip positioned and then riveted back in place. Some use screws, but number 6 are not structural so I wouldn't go that way myself. What is difficult is the riveting without marking the windshield. The Ceebaileys windshield has the lip but the lip itself has screws (plastic) that allow the windshield to be removed and reinstalled without removing the previously installed retainer. Not so with the LP product. Don't get me wrong my LP window fit perfectly and I've got no issues with it, but the other window looks like its easier to install, don't know whether it stands up as well as mine has.
George maybe right in that the easiest way to go is stay original, plus the fact that if you want a totally clear view you have to mount a new compass somewhere on or in the dash. As for me I think I'd like to own two 170's , one stock and one modified, like always I'd like to have it all. :?
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
dale legroulx

Post by dale legroulx »

Thanks gahorn I will be going with great lakes as they have a thicker windshield and provide thin felt for installation to allow for it, Besides they are right next door in Michigan so I'll pick it up myself. The windshield being replaced had no centre strip so I'll just stay with what I'm use to.
Thanks again for your help.
Karl Towle

Post by Karl Towle »

Some belated comments on installing the LP windows with the locking strip at the top. The nice thing about this install is that it mimics the way Cessna started installing windshield's on later model 172s and the like, and it doesn't involve drilling through the Plexiglas with the associated concern for eventual cracking.
Jim's comments about difficulty setting rivets without damage to the new windshield definitely applies. Here's the way I handled this challenge:

1) Obtain about a dozen Cleco clamps with the wing-nuts so the retainer strip can be pulled up tight for riveting.
2) BEFORE installing the windshield, put the locking strip in place, and set the outer 4 or 5 rivets on both sides. Don't install any more rivets than the ones that would be very difficult to buck with the windshield in place.
3) Now install the windshield. A couple of strips of .016 aluminum can be used to open up the gap as the windshield is pulled in at the outer sides (where the rivets are already installed).
4) Finally, install the wing-nut Clecos every other hole across the top. Set the rivets in between the Clecos. Remove the Clecos, and set the remaining rivets.

I've done two strapless windshields at this point, and this sequence made the install go much easier.

Karl
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

LP plastics have a thicker windscreen available plus different tints . Be careful on fitting tinted windscreens. The grey and bronze tints look great for the first 5 mins of operation until they get some marks on them and then some bugs and dust. Then You can’t see out of them with the sun on them. Then there is a light green tint . It’s “ok” but the clear is the best IMO.I have fitted the thickest windscreen available to my aircraft and it’s not easy . Do not forget to use the correct “grease” on the felt surfaces. It helps with water resistance and stops the squeaking . I have screwed my windscreen down and not riveted it. I have seen owners wreck a windscreen as they have had little experience or none in using a rivet gun . The gun has bounced away from them and hit the new windscreen. Plus the bottom retaining strip fitment can be “adjusted” at a later date .
This is my opinion [worth 1 cent] but the Center strip actually weakens the windscreen from impact . If you drill a hole s through a windscreen a stress raiser has been created .if you want your compass [which nobody uses these days as they are busy using their GPS] to be on the windscreen a block can be glued to the windscreen and compass mounted on that.