Back Seat Attachment Question

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

DaveF

Re: Back Seat Attachment Question

Post by DaveF »

At my mechanic's insistence, we removed the side brackets and did the job the "right" way.

Here's the RH bracket removed:
BracketRemoved.jpg
Both brackets with new nutplates and some ZnCr applied:
Brackets2.jpg
Reinstalled:
LHBracketInstalled.jpg
Aft mounting location with doubler plate. We pulled Cherrymax rivets in the aft three locations. The two screws hold a retainer with the new nutplate.
AftPlateReinstalled.jpg
The nutplate retainer from below:
AftNutplateRetainer.jpg
4-Shipp

Post by 4-Shipp »

Quick update on replacing the rear seat attach bolt nut plate.

I used a AN366F-428A nut plate. I layed out the center lines on the rivets holding the doubler in place as shown in the earlier pictures. I drilled two holes an inch apart on line corresponding to the original nut plate. I then drilled through the doubler and the floor to remove the rivets holding the original nut plate in place. The old nut plate popped right off. The new plate was riveted in place. It was easy to access the back of the rivets through the inspection hole. The whole process took less than 30 minutes. Piece of cake!
Bruce Shipp
former owners of N49CP, '53 C170B
Indopilot

Post by Indopilot »

Just an observation, While your mechanic was doing it the " Right " way did he insist on doing a burn test on your cabin insulation at the same time? :D Sorry just had to stir the pot.
52 170B s/n 20446
56 172 s/n 28162
Echo Weed eater, Jezebeel
junkyard_kahrs

Post by junkyard_kahrs »

Seemed to be the best thread to add this question-

Am I doing this right? The parts manual illustrates a bushing around the bolt, but with the proper sized bolt I don't see how one could fit in there.
Prepped seat frames
Prepped seat frames
Attachments
Front seat bolt
Front seat bolt
Rear seat bolt
Rear seat bolt
JohnNielsen

Post by JohnNielsen »

I found my seats much more comfortable and lighter when I removed all the steel spring suspension and replaced it with control surface fabric, then had Aircraft Sport Seating in AK make me modern multi layer pads and covers to slip over the frames. John.
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Mine don't have a bushing in there either. Just the bolt.

+1 on getting rid of the steel springs. Makes for a more comfortable seat. I'm in the process of doing it now. Just need a few warm days to make my unheated garage tolerable.
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

Personally I would be very hesitate in changing a seat design. Cessna designs and builds seats to take a certain G load and those springs or a combination of springs creat the seat loads that are to be for a comfort factor but are there also to absorb loads eg for heavy landings. I have seen the results and reports of somebody that modified the seats of a early cessna 172 seats and made a pan of Celonite glued around tubular frame . On the heavy landing the glue let go and the 2 persons on board had their body submarines into the seat frame causing extreme back injuries . Yes it was a very heavy landing ,1gear torn out of the aircraft ,nose wheel assembly torn out . The National Transport Safety Board was very critical of the mods done to the seats
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

ghostflyer wrote:Personally I would be very hesitate in changing a seat design. Cessna designs and builds seats to take a certain G load and those springs or a combination of springs creat the seat loads that are to be for a comfort factor but are there also to absorb loads eg for heavy landings. I have seen the results and reports of somebody that modified the seats of a early cessna 172 seats and made a pan of Celonite glued around tubular frame . On the heavy landing the glue let go and the 2 persons on board had their body submarines into the seat frame causing extreme back injuries . Yes it was a very heavy landing ,1gear torn out of the aircraft ,nose wheel assembly torn out . The National Transport Safety Board was very critical of the mods done to the seats
Good words. If you have your seats modified be careful who does it, and confirm their documentation will allow legal reinstallation into a certificated airplane. (May require Form 337/STC depending upon the amount of modification.) Subsequent sale relicensing of the airplane may be complicated.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
junkyard_kahrs

Post by junkyard_kahrs »

The rear seat with the new foam. Additional, thinner foam will wrap the front skirt before covering.
Rear seat with new foam & canvas
Rear seat with new foam & canvas
New canvas material installed (from Airtex).
New canvas, detail
New canvas, detail
Francisco (Compton KCPM) explains his plans for the completion of the seat.
Francisco explains next steps
Francisco explains next steps
An example of Francisco's completed work in another C170. These seats have altered, higher seat backs with a more square profile. Mine will adhere to the original countour.
Another 170 completed by Francisco
Another 170 completed by Francisco
reecewallace

Post by reecewallace »

170C wrote:George, there was an article written by C170 member John Gileno #1776 CT describing a method of replacing the nutplates being discussed here that does not require drilling out rivets or cutting holes in the bracket. I have a printed copy of the article that I would be glad to send to someone or to you to post on the forum. I don't know how to do so myself or I would do the posting. I gave a copy to the IA who was doing my mechanical work several years ago and he used the method described to replace the two nutplates in my plane. I don't recall if the article was in the 170 News or was on this forum, but possibly others reading this will recall it and can post it.
Are these step-by-step instructions available anywhere? Perhaps in PDF/online form?

My 170b's aft floor & side nuts are stripped. My plane has beautiful paint, and I don't want to drill out the rivets in the side of my fuselage.
- Reece
1956 Cessna 170b
Nanaimo, BC Canada
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Something along the lines of drilling out the old nut plate , then using a magnet to position a new nut plate I think possibly
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

reecewallace wrote:
170C wrote:George, there was an article written by C170 member John Gileno #1776 CT describing a method of replacing the nutplates being discussed here that does not require drilling out rivets or cutting holes in the bracket. I have a printed copy of the article that I would be glad to send to someone or to you to post on the forum. I don't know how to do so myself or I would do the posting. I gave a copy to the IA who was doing my mechanical work several years ago and he used the method described to replace the two nutplates in my plane. I don't recall if the article was in the 170 News or was on this forum, but possibly others reading this will recall it and can post it.
Are these step-by-step instructions available anywhere? Perhaps in PDF/online form?

My 170b's aft floor & side nuts are stripped. My plane has beautiful paint, and I don't want to drill out the rivets in the side of my fuselage.
Here is Franks description of the work posted in 2010:
170C wrote:Run a piece of safety wire through the bolt hole (in the nutplate) & up through the space between the top of the bracket and fugelage. This permits retrival of the old nutplate. They twisted a loop in the lower end of the wire so the nut wouln't fall off. Drill out the rivets that hold the nutplate. then pull the old nutplate up through the slot beteen the bracket & the fugelage. (You might have to file the slot some to permit the nutplate to pass through and for the new one to go back inside the bracket.)
Thread the rivet holes in the new cornernut/nutplate with a 6-32 tap. Drill out the rifet holes in brackets with a #28 drill so 6-32 screws will pass.
Insert a piece of safety wire in each enlarged rivet hole in the bracket and push them up throught the slot between the bracket and fuselage. Place the nutplate onto the wires and let slide down into place insied the bracket. Therad a 10-32 bolt through bracket into the nutplate so you can maneuver it into place and secure it with two 6-32 screws. Nutplates are MS 21081-3 or 22NA5-02.
I used the term "nutplate" where the original word "corner nut" was used. Good luck. …
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
rschreiber

Post by rschreiber »

We just tackled the aft floor nutplate replacement this week. Thanks to DaveF for the great pictures and the idea for securing the nutplate. It seemed like the best solution considering the space available.
Ryan