Stall warning failure

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Re: Stall warning failure

Post by GAHorn »

rnealon1 wrote:Reviving another thread, my stall warning horn stopped working also. The light still works.

The back of the indicator/horn unit has terminals marked 12V and W as opposed to + and -. Is 12V the positive?

Bob
‘If it “stopped” working... it implies that it Once-Worked... so unless you’ve switched the leads..... :wink:

(Either way, you can use test-leads and try it each way and soon find out. Reversing them will cause no harm.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
rnealon1

Post by rnealon1 »

Thanks George, I think I reversed the leads although I thought I marked everything carefully. Prior to my inspection the light worked but not the horn. Now neither works, and the bulb is good.

I noticed also there is no retaining ring for the light, it just pulls right out.

Thanks,

Bob
Bob Nealon

Southbury, CT
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Well, the lamp doesn’t have any regard for polarity, so this indicates (pardon the pun) that you have an internal wiring and/or grounding problem with the horn/light device. (Beware: Lamps are like fuses... looking at them doesn’t prove them. They must be tested for continuity.)
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
rnealon1

Post by rnealon1 »

cessna170bdriver wrote:
rnealon1 wrote:Reviving another thread, my stall warning horn stopped working also. The light still works.

The back of the indicator/horn unit has terminals marked 12V and W as opposed to + and -. Is 12V the positive?

Bob
I have a new replacement buzzer that George Horn gave me that I never used, as my problem turned out to be with the switch. If you verify that the buzzer is bad, Let me know and I’ll forward it on to you.
Hi Miles,

I sent you a PM, but it does appear to be the buzzer and I would be happy to pay good money for the one you have.

Thanks,

Bob
Bob Nealon

Southbury, CT
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Bob, I just saw your PM a short while ago. I’ll put the buzzer on its way to you tomorrow.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
rnealon1

Post by rnealon1 »

Does anyone know what the retaining ring looks like for this unit, that prevents the face from falling out of the case? And/or where to obtain one?

I actually have 2 units now. On my original, the face will not stay in. On the other, the face cannot be removed; possibly super glued or somehow corroded in place. Neither has any visible retainer.

Thanks!

Bob
Bob Nealon

Southbury, CT
Hawkeyenfo

Post by Hawkeyenfo »

Does anyone have another buzzer lying around collecting dust? Mine hasn't worked since I've owned it (13 years now....)

Thanks!
Fly Navy !!!!

1941 Boeing PT-13D Stearman
1952 Cessna 170B
1960 Piper Aztec (PA23-250)
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Hawkeye, check your PMs.