Throttle Cable Interference

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

DaveF

Re: Throttle Cable Interference

Post by DaveF »

My personal opinion follows. I try to avoid attaching unrelated items together because it amplifies the amount of work required by a job. If I have to remove my glove box to access the engine instruments or vacuum hoses above it, I really don't want to have to mess with an Adel clamp, especially while working on my back under the panel. For the throttle cable, I'd try an electronics chassis cable mount with a zip tie, or something that can be easily disconnected and reconnected.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The problem Cessna faced with this and similar airplanes was the need to mount a throttle near the centerline so that both pilots could conveniently operate it… yet also needed to have the flight controls accessible from both front seats, yet use a centrally-located “joystick” to operate elevators and ailerons….that “joystick” being activated by controls directly in front of side-by-side seated pilots (formerly dual pilot seats were seated in tandem.)

Unless a complex and heavy system of levers and/or pulleys were used to reach a carburetor centrally-located…. then a Bowden type cable is what made perfect sense for simplicity…and it needed to be routed circuitously around that T-shaped “joystick”…. and held in a secure manner. I don’t have a problem with their solution. It’s worked for 70+ years unless someone failed to maintain it as-designed or modified it without understanding why it was originally designed.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
DWood

Post by DWood »

McFarlane Throttle Cable MC0411091-2 uses "wedge washers" that angle the cable slightly to the right.