Paint Shop Recommendations

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

stephenpaige

Paint Shop Recommendations

Post by stephenpaige »

My cessna 170A is in need of a new paint job. I am looking for recommendations for a paint shop near Mmephis, TN
GAHorn

Re: Paint Shop

Post by GAHorn »

Is 200 miles close enough? Mena, AR. Get a recommendation from fellow Member Del Lehmann (wingnut). He's based there, knows the several paint shops, as well as very talented airframe artist himself. :wink:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
GAHorn

Re: Recommended Paint Shops

Post by GAHorn »

There have been several threads in these Forums asking about recommended paint shops…. Here is a photo of the 2020 Consumer Reports list of shops of which they have received multiple favorable reports.
I notice that Prestige Aircraft is on this list… this is the shop which we visited during the 2022 Vermont Convention….and, Yes, their shop and attention to details is impressive indeed. Their major problem will be their location in northern VT almost 20 miles from Canada…. but if you’re in the N.E. ….and want a “First Class” shop…the visit we had there fits that description.

I have no personal experience with “Flex Aero” in De Land, Florida except that I purchased a Skyhawk which had been recently painted by them…but 4 years later…the results are still Excellent in my opinion. There are no defects and their “paint lines/artistry” are as close to “perfect” as I’ve ever seen…and although I had purchased a plane which they had painted for the previous owner….they sent me complimentary “Touch-Up” kit/samples with no charge.

Flex Aero Painting And Interior, Inc
1590 Old NDB Road
Deland, FL 32724
KDED Airport
Email: Info@flexaeropainting.com
Office Number: 386-873-7800
Sabrina Satler (Vice President): 954-292-7696

Here’s a pic of their efforts to replicate the 1962 Cessna scheme on our Skyhawk:
1E39BD06-C032-46C1-825C-62752D55457D.png

Here’s Consumer Reports List:
0A9620C2-4346-4081-B7D3-AB854ACA30B8.jpeg
Let me repeat what I posted earlier…if you have any airframe/sheet-metal, interior, or other work to accomplish at the same time as your paint-job…. our Member Del Lehman located at Mena AR is the “go-to” source for recommendations, IMO.

http://realitydistortionfield.com/Mount ... nials.html
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
cessna170bdriver

Re: Paint Shop Recommendations

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Somehow I missed this thread before, but I second the work done at Mena. My paint job was done by Mena Aircraft Painting 6-7 years ago and still looks about as good as it did when I took delivery. I know others who have had their airplanes painted at several of the other shops on the field with similar results. One of the reasons I chose that shop was that they also do interiors. Pretty much any services that might need to be performed on a general aviation airplane can be done at Mena.
6FAF5D1D-6EC9-495C-8EF2-C8680B8AE58B.jpeg
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne