Continental Case paint color

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

gparker

Re: Continental Case paint color

Post by gparker »

Rusty, thanks for the info. I still have some time and would like those numbers inf you can get them. My 1956 own ears manual shows light colored valve covers too, although in black and white I can't tell if they are white or silver. What color are the intakes supposed to be? Push rod tubes? And is the battery box silver with a black top?
Thanks,
Greg
1956 170B N3457D
SN 27000
Denham Springs, LA
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

When you guys figure out the colors here is a treatise on applying paint properly.
Full page photo.pdf
(982.68 KiB) Downloaded 349 times
frontback-520x479.jpg
Last edited by johneeb on Thu May 24, 2012 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

"White lead mixed with turpentine, a little oil and Japan dryer make an excellent primer"

Try that today :lol:
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I'd offer a caution about using an Owner's Manual for determining this sort of thing, especially as regards particulars of year-models. The Owner's Manuals were very generic, and Cessna's own "commercial aircraft specifications" for finish, paint, etc. were not observed for the purposes of that "manual." That document carried little authority with Cessna or CAA/FAA. (It was a sales and operating-tips brochure, and Cessna themselves paid little attention to year model/designations when compiling those manuals OR the revisions of them.)

If I recall correctly, (and I believe I do...I own a copy of the commercial specs Cessna issued for some models and is my source for this info) ...according to Continental the engine valve covers and cyls were black, as were the accys. (i.e., carb, gen, starter, mags) The cases were gray, inc. sump, crankcase, and accy case. (Mort Brown referred to it as "navy" gray....whatever that was.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
dbarron

Post by dbarron »

George,
Why would continental motors switch around with rocker cover colors.. ??
You are correct though.. Owners manuals are not to trusted on everything.. but they do hold some good info.
Dillon
Dillon Barron
'54 170B N1899C

BARRON AVIATION
Specializing in the restoration/repair of classic aircraft
Barronaviation.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

dbarron wrote:George,
Why would continental motors switch around with rocker cover colors.. ??
You are correct though.. Owners manuals are not to trusted on everything.. but they do hold some good info.
Dillon
How do we know that it is continental who made the switch?
(that picture is in a cessna manual.)

But, just on speculation, the color black sheds its heat better than lighter colors.

the question I have is why did TCM change to gold?
(I speculate it was for marketing purposes.)
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
dbarron

Post by dbarron »

True, this is where pictures tell a.thousand words..
i wouldnt think that there would sufficient enough of heat in the rocker covers to.justify repainting them black.. but I could be wrong
ill keep researching. Original pictures are nice so if anyone has some please share!

Dillon
Dillon Barron
'54 170B N1899C

BARRON AVIATION
Specializing in the restoration/repair of classic aircraft
Barronaviation.com
rusty

Post by rusty »

Here is the information on case color. Aircraft Technical Support (877-877-3334) It is in Ohio. The people are great!
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

rusty wrote:Here is the information on case color. Aircraft Technical Support (877-877-3334) It is in Ohio. The people are great!
they are a Randolph fabric and paint supplier.... not an authority on 170s....
and they ( the owner Jim Miller and his wife) told me that they are calling around trying to find someone else who can give them this information, because they did not know. :|
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Here's a picture of an O-300 at a Continental Motors office lobby at the Fairhope Alabama airport. They clearly weren't trying to make a historically accurate display here. The rocker covers match the crankcase which I doubt is the correct shade of gray. The data plate on the right case half says it's an O-300A. The left case half has an oil control valve which is only found on the C-145-2H or O-300B.
Continental O-300.jpg
O-300.jpg
Gary