Continental Case paint color

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

dbarron

Continental Case paint color

Post by dbarron »

I know the origianl color of the cylinders was a mull black, but any idea what the color was of the engine case and valve covers? Panited? Plated?
Thanks
Dillon Barron
'54 170B N1899C

BARRON AVIATION
Specializing in the restoration/repair of classic aircraft
Barronaviation.com
GAHorn

Re: Contenental Case paint color

Post by GAHorn »

The C145/O300 cases were gray, and covers were black.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
russfarris

Post by russfarris »

Crankcase and valve covers were gray - a somewhat lighter shade than Lycoming uses. The Gold color, which every overhauler loves to do, wasn't used by Continental until the late '60s. I'm not even sure any O-300 ever came that way. There is a original paint 1966 172 sitting on the tamp here at Rock Hill, maybe it has the original engine. The beautiful polished and turquoise 170B pictured somewhere here on the forum owned by Rusty I think has the correct colors on the engine.
All glory is fleeting...
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Covers were originally gloss-black. :wink: Mercury Outboard paint (in the Tempo rattle-can) is a good choice.
Rusty's engine and compartment has been touched up of course, but his engine colors are correct (except for that Sky-Tec starter) :wink: :
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
dbarron

Post by dbarron »

Ok, not disagreeing but I have seen a couple pictures from an old engine "owner's manual" that showed a picture/drawing that had the valves a lighter color than black... :?: confusing but just for proof, what kind of records does the owner of that turquoise and polish one have? just for documentation purposes :wink:
Dillon Barron
'54 170B N1899C

BARRON AVIATION
Barronaviation.com
dbarron

Post by dbarron »

I apologize, I dont know if it makes a difference or not, but I forgot to specify year.. :wink: 1953 if that means anything. I know Rusty's is a year (or two?) off from my scheme. Wonder if Cessna switched it up at all?
Dillon Barron
'54 170B N1899C

BARRON AVIATION
Barronaviation.com
dbarron

Post by dbarron »

I found a pic, it is on Rusty's engine battery lid too. The large orange decal, George is that something that was added on later you think?
Attachments
140.jpg
140.jpg (3.15 KiB) Viewed 16007 times
DSC01034.JPG
Dillon Barron
'54 170B N1899C

BARRON AVIATION
Barronaviation.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I have no idea what that is on his batt lid, but I'd also noticed it and sent him an email for a better pic and description.
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

I also have that orange decal on my battery box lid, or I should say I have the remains of that decal. It is so badly degraded I can't read it.
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
DaveF

Re: Continental Case paint color

Post by DaveF »

My '54 battery box cover has traces of the orange label/paint/decal too.

Aryana, that's one beautiful engine. Please don't tell me you went and put oil in it! :D
dbarron

Post by dbarron »

Nice looking engine! Thanks for all the info, really appreciate it!
Dillon Barron
'54 170B N1899C

BARRON AVIATION
Barronaviation.com
rusty

Post by rusty »

In answer to dbarron, I have spoken with Mr. Loren Lemmon, of Lycon Aircraft, which is located in California. Mr. Lemmon worked for Continental for several years and was employed there in the 1950's. He advised me that the correct colour was a grey case with black cyclinder's and valve covers. After several conversations and e-mails back in fourth, he made the comment,"That's about as good as it get's." The colour is a grey that is a little darker than the Lycoming grey, and black on the cylinders and valve covers. I also have a 1964 C-172 I purchased from the original owner, and the case was painted gold. I spoke with Mr. Lemmon about the Continental gold and he advised me that he thought they started doing that in 1964. And yes, the 1964 C-172 is all original as well(expect for paint). I was advised several times to paint the C-170 engine back to it's original colour. After all, when i got it, it had original paint, glass, and interior. I would like to add my compliments to Aryana on a great looking engine. I love it!! I hope this helps. Thanks,

Rusty
dbarron

Post by dbarron »

All photo documentation and records of others that i have found show unpainted or cad plated valve covers.. in my original 1954 owners manual it has many photos none of which are showing black valve covers. Does anyone have documentation on the black valve covers??
Last edited by dbarron on Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dillon Barron
'54 170B N1899C

BARRON AVIATION
Barronaviation.com
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

dbarron wrote:I found a pic, it is on Rusty's engine battery lid too. The large orange decal, George is that something that was added on later you think?
It's interesting to see on page 45 of the 1955 C-170B owners manual that Bruce recently posted this decal seems to be on the battery box lid.
'55 C-170 manual pg. 45.png
Gary
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Gary, I took note of the same decal. How about that. 8O

To bad we can read it.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com