Continental Case paint color

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

n2582d

Re: Continental Case paint color

Post by n2582d »

I also noted that in the '53 owners manual the battery is still on the right side. Is it in the same position as the earlier models or did they shift it to the left slightly to accommodate the newer style heater valve which is mounted on the right? Previously I was under the impression that the battery moved to the left side with the change in heater valves.
'53 Battery.png
'53 Battery.png (116.92 KiB) Viewed 13260 times
Last edited by n2582d on Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

On '52 C-170B Battery on Right, Heater valve on Left. Later models opposite. Earlier models???
BL
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

My 1953 B model year has the battery and the heater valve on the right.
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Karl,
I stand corrected. I guess I just never noticed one with that configuration. In my mind, I just can't picture the scat hose routing on that set up.

P.S. I can't imagine why in hell I'm up and reading this stuff this early in the morning.
BL
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

I assumed the battery went to the right (viewing the firewall from the front) with the heater change in '53 as well. Boy oh boy there is always something to checkout on these planes no matter how well you think you know them.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
dbarron

Post by dbarron »

n2582d wrote:
dbarron wrote:I found a pic, it is on Rusty's engine battery lid too. The large orange decal, George is that something that was added on later you think?
It's interesting to see on page 45 of the 1955 C-170B owners manual that Bruce recently posted this decal seems to be on the battery box lid.
'55 C-170 manual pg. 45.png
Yes, this is what I was looking at in my '54 Owner's manual. And yes, to some it may be confusing that I have a 53 model yet an original 54 manual. Mine was made so late in the year that they actually sold it with the next year's book. Not something that is important though. I just still havent found anything on what that writing says on the battery lid..
If anyone has a lead as to what it says, please let me know! :D

Dillon
Dillon Barron
'54 170B N1899C

BARRON AVIATION
Specializing in the restoration/repair of classic aircraft
Barronaviation.com
gparker

Post by gparker »

So how about a 1956 model? I am about to send my engine out and want it to be painted as close to original as possible. Is the answer still black cylinders and covers, with darker than Lycoming grey case? If so, any paint numbers? How dark is the gray?
1956 170B N3457D
SN 27000
Denham Springs, LA
gparker

Post by gparker »

What about a 1956 model? Still dark grey and black? Are the paint numbers available?
Greg
1956 170B N3457D
SN 27000
Denham Springs, LA
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

gparker wrote:What about a 1956 model? Still dark grey and black? Are the paint numbers available?
Greg
Yes. No.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
rusty

Post by rusty »

What is your time frame for paint? I have the number to get the proper paint for the engine. Looking for it now, He has the codes for the paint. This might take a day or two.
On page 41 1955 Owners Manual shows valve covers to be silver. Going to repaint mine the same as the intake pipes. Hope this will help you. Rusty N2935D
gparker

Post by gparker »

Rusty, thanks for the info. I still have some time and would like those numbers inf you can get them. My 1956 own ears manual shows light colored valve covers too, although in black and white I can't tell if they are white or silver. What color are the intakes supposed to be? Push rod tubes? And is the battery box silver with a black top?
Thanks,
Greg
1956 170B N3457D
SN 27000
Denham Springs, LA
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

When you guys figure out the colors here is a treatise on applying paint properly.
Full page photo.pdf
(982.68 KiB) Downloaded 349 times
frontback-520x479.jpg
Last edited by johneeb on Thu May 24, 2012 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

"White lead mixed with turpentine, a little oil and Japan dryer make an excellent primer"

Try that today :lol:
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I'd offer a caution about using an Owner's Manual for determining this sort of thing, especially as regards particulars of year-models. The Owner's Manuals were very generic, and Cessna's own "commercial aircraft specifications" for finish, paint, etc. were not observed for the purposes of that "manual." That document carried little authority with Cessna or CAA/FAA. (It was a sales and operating-tips brochure, and Cessna themselves paid little attention to year model/designations when compiling those manuals OR the revisions of them.)

If I recall correctly, (and I believe I do...I own a copy of the commercial specs Cessna issued for some models and is my source for this info) ...according to Continental the engine valve covers and cyls were black, as were the accys. (i.e., carb, gen, starter, mags) The cases were gray, inc. sump, crankcase, and accy case. (Mort Brown referred to it as "navy" gray....whatever that was.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
dbarron

Post by dbarron »

George,
Why would continental motors switch around with rocker cover colors.. ??
You are correct though.. Owners manuals are not to trusted on everything.. but they do hold some good info.
Dillon
Dillon Barron
'54 170B N1899C

BARRON AVIATION
Specializing in the restoration/repair of classic aircraft
Barronaviation.com