Info about hot air repairs & OH! S#*T!!

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Sixracer

Info about hot air repairs & OH! S#*T!!

Post by Sixracer »

We got the 172 all back in running order this afternoon. Fixed the sticking primer. Moved the blast tubes to their proper location. Replaced all the baffles in the upper cowl area. Sealed all the holes in the rear engine baffle/wall. went a tick richer on the carb mixture. That allowed us to lean for best power at run up rather than just put it full rich and hope for the best. (the way it was before the tick richer setting) After working on it for 2 weeeks, hit and miss a couple of hours a night it is fixed like I wanted it to be. My CFI and I took of about 5:00... It was 98 degrees . field elevation is 375. Humidity was, well it was all over us!!! :~0
We did 3 quick touch and go's and then a full stop and changed directions on the runway. (no wind) I then did another take off and a touch and go. That was a good one. Taking off with 10 degrees of flaps and dodging a flock of Geese that came in while I had my back turned. Wow! what a take off. They were going up, across and away from me. They came up just as I rotated and I had no choice but to play Dodge the goose. I poped up and went low left down the runway. My CFI just said OH- ^%$^, Geese!!. LOL! I dropped the flaps real quick and sank down just off the runway and actually went under the 3 leaders. I had plenty of runway and no obstacles to make a nice transition back to climb attitude/speed. My CFI said I did a great job of reacting and flying the plane, some of those cool, calm, racing reflexes I guess. :~)
With that over we looked at the oil temp and it was still running just a needle past mid range. A lot cooler than it was before all the work. I dropped off my CFI and did 3 more T&G's and then landed. Still no oil temp problems. I parked it in the hanger and my CFI signed me off on my Biannual Flight Review. Now with the heating problems behind us he can concentrate on teaching a good friend of mine to fly in my plane. I won't be worried about it being too hot with him learning to fly. There is way too many other things for him to concentrate on besides oil temps. Now it is time for a shower & bed time!!!! Thanks to the forum and for all the help and info on my project.