Looking for Landing Gear Options

Where TIC170A members may list items for sale or trade or make wants known.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Forum rules
Guests and forum participants are welcome to view posts in this area but one must be TIC170A member to post an ad here - -Why Join the TIC170A - - How to Join the TIC170A

Looking for Landing Gear Options

Postby Crivera » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:54 pm

Good Afternoon everyone,

New member here who might be in the market for a new landing gear if anyone has a set for sale or knows of someone who does. I just closed on a 1952 B model that I will hopefully be bringing home in a week or two. The landing gear is showing signs of neglect (paint chipping and rust). I have been contemplating my options and contacted TLGW. Aero. Based on their prices I would most like just buy an already refurbished set of gears to minimize down time (1-2weeks vs 45-60 days). That being said a refurbished set is still a bit pricey. If anyone knows of some gears for sale that would not require refurbishing I might be interested in them. I will attach some images, I would like to hear some opinions on how critical it is that I get the gear inspected and/or replaced asap.

Thank you!

Chris
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_6664.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_6663.jpg
Crivera

Re: Looking for Landing Gear Options

Postby GAHorn » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:19 pm

Remove, bead-blast, inspect, prime/paint… one week.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
GAHorn

Postby Crivera » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:23 pm

I like the sound of that much more then having to replace it.

Thank you Sir!!
Crivera

Postby c170b53 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:32 pm

Congratulations with your new plane and welcome to the association. The search function should produce a healthy rabbit hole on this topic. Good luck digging in and out and have fun. You can address the corrosion, have it done for you or get refurbished gear, all possibilities. Although many have touched up their gear, the only way to know you have a solid set is with magna-fluxing NDT testing. Likely your gear is ok but again failure may occur with crack initially starting from a bolt hole. Best to check what axles you have and renew all the attach hardware as a first step if you are worried about a possible lack of attention in the past.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
c170b53

Postby Crivera » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:43 pm

Thank you it is good to be here,

Oh trust me I have already gone down many a rabbit hole on this forum. I did not even know I had a problem with the gear until I came across some posts on here dealing with corrosion and gear failure, which lead me to do more research and discovering all the options for replacing and/or upgrading the gear. I figured I would put some pictures on here to get feed back about whether it was a minor issue or if it is something I need to move up to the top of my ever growing list of stuff that I would like to or need to do. Like you said without having it inspected there really is no way of knowing. When I pick her up and ferry her home I will take a look at the axles and decide whether to replace them or just replace the hardware when I have the gear inspected.

Thanks for the suggestions,

Chris
Crivera

Postby GAHorn » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:16 am

Jim is correct (of course) as to rabbit-holes. The one-week I suggested earlier is what a competent shop can accomplish if everything works well and no serious problems found. There is a familiar-saying with regard to old airplanes with rabbit-holes: “While we’re in there we might as well also …..”
This syndrome sometimes ends up with Oshkosh Awards…. Sometimes with “project for sale” ads. Decide early if you want an award …or a flyer.
Good luck with this and keep us posted!
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
GAHorn

Postby Crivera » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:55 am

That being said if anyone can recommend a competent shop in the South East somewhere I would really appreciate it. I am based in Florida but willing to travel for a reliable and trustworthy shop. I have already become familiar with that process since during the initial pre-buy/annual I already found myself telling the shop "while we are in here I might as well have you replace......" It is almost like you guys are mind readers. I am definitely looking for a flyer, first and foremost I want to make sure to have a mechanically safe and reliable aircraft, after that then I can worry about things that make her pretty. I will definitely keep you all posted with the outcome.

Thank you,

Chris
Crivera

Postby mmcmillan2 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:17 pm

Since you are in FL and have a polished plane, I’d suggest you look into a stainless steel paint called Steel It. I don’t know if it is suitable for airplane use, but we used it in industrial applications to prevent corrosion.
170B owner, KCFD, CFI(I), Commercial MEL/SEL
mmcmillan2

Return to The TradeMart