2023 Cessna 170 Convention, Sault Ste. Marie Michigan

Upcoming aviation events and reports.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

cessna170bdriver

Re: 2023 Cessna 170 Convention, Sault Ste. Marie Michigan

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Every time I look at a calendar, it seems it’s a month closer to Convention time! So far I’ve received Convention registrations from only about half of the people registered at the hotel. Just a reminder that the registration fee goes up $25 on June 1. Also, space on the Pictured Rocks and Soo Locks boat tours is limited and will be accommodated first registered, first served basis. In addition, the restaurants at which we’re having group meals are requesting head counts by June 1. Summer is high season in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, and walk-in service for large groups is all but impossible. Convention registration forms may be downloaded at https://cessna170.org/wp-content/upload ... Form-1.pdf. If you have a printed form you haven’t yet filled out please download a fresh one, as several omissions and errors have been corrected since it was first published.

Also, just a reminder that convention shirt order forms are separate from the convention registration forms this year. I fear that many who have registered for the convention may not realize that we are offering shirts this year, as only six registrants have included an order for shirts so far. The shirt order form may be downloaded at https://cessna170.org/wp-content/upload ... r-Form.pdf.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
pbflyer

Post by pbflyer »

Due to some changes to my work/vacation plans it looks like I'll finally be making it to Oshkosh this year. And since I'll (unfortunately) be driving I'm going to do my best to make it to the convention. Unfortunately since this also means I'll be working in the mornings from the van, my schedule is still going to be somewhat in the air. I will send in my registration pre-emptively so save a spot at least for the latter part of the week.

I look forward to meeting all of you in July!
Paul

Current caretaker for:
1953 170B
N1977C
s/n 26122
cessna170bdriver

Looking forward to meeting you too Paul! Based on the address on your registration we probably have some mutual friends.
Miles

— Thomas Browne
cessna170bdriver

If anyone not currently planning to attend the Convention and can afford a few days before Oshkosh, we have room on all of the tours, and the hotel is undersold on our block of rooms. The only thing we are tight on is transportation, so if you plan to fly in let me know ASAP so arrangements can be made.
Miles

— Thomas Browne
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Miles ..as to the hotel… I tried to get a room for Sat nite (one day ahead of convention arrival day) ….and the hotel reservation told me nothing avilable except for $200+ and Smoking rooms only. :( So I guess we’ll just find a place enroute to spend the nite….
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

I’m not that smart George. Might have to pitch a tent at the airport. Oh Ken Peck and I are recovering in ANJ ready room after a day of IFR, the smoke at times unbelievable and there not many roads this way
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Sorry to be slow to update… Jamie and I arrived Sat nite after getting in touch with Stephanie (hotel coordinator) who assured us of a SAt nite room.

We maneuvered between/through towering-CU in northern Michigan just east of lake Michigan and then had clear sailing the rest of the way. (ADS-B radar depiction was more severe than actual…we had no serious issues with minor deviations observing the towering CU and steering between them.)

Landed at KANJ and was picked up by Member Art Kimble and taken to hotel. We’ve had a great time meeting old friends and greeting new ones. The Welcoming Party just finished now on Sunday evening with plenty of good food and “hefty” hors d'oeuvres… plenty of food and beverages of anyone’s desires…. Good briefings of upcoming events…and a few late arrivals of Great Friendships being re-newed!
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)