Reklaw

Upcoming aviation events and reports.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

rossplanes

Reklaw

Post by rossplanes »

Anyone going to Reklaw? I have never been and am thinking about going.
GAHorn

Re: Reklaw

Post by GAHorn »

Not this year, … however in years-past we flew-in and had a great time with old friends and made new friends also. We camped out beneath the wing, kept the dog under close-control (this means a leash for most) and will offer the following advice:

Plan your fuel, there is (usually) none available on the field.

If you are not an experienced-camper, Take a tent larger than you think necessary. (For two and a dog we used a tent claimed for “six” and it was fine.)
DON’T FORGET a “ground-cloth” or plastic sheet to install beneath your tent or you will be taking a shower each night/early morning due to condensation. East Texas is HUMID.

Don’t be squeamish about toilet facilities. Plenty of Port-a-Potties exist, but if you or your companion needs night-time facilities it can be “inconvenient” in the dark/cold/rainy. A solution we found acceptable: Buy a cheap folding toilet-seat/stool from WalMart, install multiple bags within each other, then when used simply twist the inner-most bag neck closed and leave it inside the next bag. When convenient drop the used/closed bags into the port-a-pottie. Since we had a tent slightly larger than for two… it was plenty of room to install it inside the tent for the night-time visit and and offered privacy and no-wait-line at the portables. (no odor or offense either).

A central “wash-stand” area for brushing teeth and washing hands is provided.

BRING CASH: Food (breakfast/lunch/dinner) is provided by volunteer organizations for donation or small charge, but some folks cook their own at their site using small stove or the campfire. There was a trend toward requiring a donation or registration-fee last time we attended. ($20 ten years ago, but this year they are charging $25-$40)

This info is my report from the past, last time I attended was a decade ago, and not much added online: http://reklawflyin.org/

(Be advised the display of “type club” logos may or may not be indicative of any official approval or participation.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
jklaerner

Post by jklaerner »

I’ll be there; arriving Thursday afternoon. Last year I think I counted a total of 7 170’s. It’s a great event and should be a good turnout this year! I’ve made the last 8.
John Klaerner
51’ C-170-A N1292D
KCVB
mmcmillan2

Post by mmcmillan2 »

My plane was still down! Maybe next year.
170B owner, KCFD, CFI(I), ATP Multi