Feb 11 2023 Texas Fly-In

Upcoming aviation events and reports.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Feb 11 2023 Texas Fly-In

Post by GAHorn »

We are invited to the private strip of the SON of founding Member John D. Benham for our February Texas Fly In:

John D. Benham, Jr invites 170 Assoc’n Member to his Private (Land at your own Risk) strip in Blanco Texas, Saturday, Feb 11, 2023.
Please arrive by 10:30AM. Bring your folding lawn chair if desired. Bring Tie Downs!
Aerial Photo below:
Plan to use Freq 123.45 NO LOW PASSES! (be kind to neighbors…this is immediately-SW of down-town! next to the H.S.)
Rwy 18/36, length 2700’
Elevation 400’
Lat/Lon N30.06.07 W98.26.19 (less than one mile SW of Blanco city center on Tx Hwy 281.
Hangar at SW-corner of strip, “Benham” on the roof.

We will enjoy friendship/fellowship and a tour of Johns’ Antique Aladdin Lamps (pre electricity-days of central Texas) and Bar-Be-Que at “The Old 300 BBQ” in Blanco.

Contact ME if you need further assistance, George Horn (leave msg or txt on my cell if you’re not in my Contact List, I’m in the Directory)
Remember your tie-downs!
CLICK TO ENLARGE
CLICK TO ENLARGE

'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
GAHorn

Re: Feb 11 2023 Texas Fly-In

Post by GAHorn »

CLICK TO ENARGE (John D’s photo/description)
CLICK TO ENARGE (John D’s photo/description)
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

PLEASE BE REMINDED that Pilots are responsible for their PROP BLAST.

Think about Dust/Dirt and Effect of your Prop Blast when maneuvering or taxying around other airplanes, hangars, and property.

I recently had an Experimental land here at my place and when he realized he was at the wrong place… he spun-around and BLASTED the house, cars, equipment, and people with Sand and Dirt.

Be courteous and mindful of your Prop Blast. If necessary, ask for help in re-positioning your airplane while positioning / shutting-down …and before start and taxi.

Thank you.
c170ken

Post by c170ken »

All of the Cessna 170 fly-ins in Texas are special, but this one was more so than usual as our Association co-founder's Son and his wife invited us to their private airstrip for a fun day of fellowship.

February 11th was a nice CAVU day in central Texas, albeit a little windy. When we flew into their beautiful and smooth grass airstrip we were greeted by John D. Benham II and his wife Renee, as well as three beautiful Model A Fords.

We all gathered inside out of the cool wind and were treated to hot coffee with a nice tour and interesting talk on Aladdin mantle lamps, which they have a very nice and large collection of.

They transported us to an excellent local BBQ establishment where we enjoyed a tasty lunch.

After returning to their airstrip we all enjoyed more visiting and discussing airplanes and Model T and A Fords.

We hope we didn't overstay our welcome, but we thank John and Renee for their gracious hospitality and a very fun day.

Those in attendance were: Renee & John Benham, Karl Towle, John Klaerner, Charles Riley, Tracy Bratton, George Horn, Naomi Goodlett and Ken Peck.

Photos by Renee Benham and Naomi Goodlett
Note the nice Aladdin Mantle Lamps
Note the nice Aladdin Mantle Lamps
2023-2-11 John D. & Renee Benham's, Blanco (8) - Copy.jpg