New products for windscreens

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

ghostflyer

New products for windscreens

Post by ghostflyer »

We have had numerous products and methods for cleaning our windscreens over the years but Not much technically has progressed over the years . Where I fly is around swamp areas and beaches. I have bugs and birds to put up with. [and the wife]
Due to the large number of bugs on my prop and windscreen ,it often takes me some time cleaning. I have tried all sorts of methods and products in the past. I have a good windscreen [no scratches or crazing] and want to keep it that way. Cleaning in the past is using clean flowing water and my hand . Then I was given this cleaner called “Meguiars “ . Hybrid Ceramic wax , It removed the bugs very easily and no harsh polishing . It’s basically “wax-on, wax off”. When clean another coat was done and lightly polished off using a microfibre cloth. I often have salt spray sticking to the windscreen but with this product it’s clear windscreen.
OMG how good was this . Water doesn’t stick to the windscreen and no water marks . It’s even good for the paint work. I am sold. Even bugs do not stick to the windscreen in flight.
PS… this is not a recommendation of the above mentioned product but just my experience .
Kevin Pearce

Re: New products for windscreens

Post by Kevin Pearce »

Thanks for posting, I have been looking for a good windscreen product. Meguiars has a good reputation here in the UK. I would not have thought of using it to clean off bugs. I use a ceramic coating on the airframe and was going to try this one next as it is easier to apply.
darhymes

Post by darhymes »

Thanks for the recommendation! I am pretty fanatical about maintaining windshields and windows. I have tried several products and have found some winners. Aero Cosmetics PlexAll and McFarlane’s D.A.M. Window Cleaner have both done an excellent job of removing bugs and leaving the surface clean and protected. I’ll give the Meguiars a try as well.

I used to Lemon Pledge on my Pitts. Also used it to touch-up polish the airframe after flight. Worked great until a few thousand bees decided they liked the lemony scent. Made it very tricky to get into the cockpit. I hear Pledge leaves a waxy residue that can eventually leave a haze on the windshield. I haven’t used it since the bees incident. :lol:
Dustin Rhymes
'55 170B N4410B S/N 26754
'06 G550 “The Silver Bullet”
bgiesbrecht

Post by bgiesbrecht »

I love the WashWaxAll product by Aero Cosmetics. A bit pricey but works fantastic!
Former owner of:
1953 170B
N1977C
s/n 26122
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

ghostflyer wrote: Then I was given this cleaner called “Meguiars “ . Hybrid Ceramic wax , It removed the bugs very easily and no harsh polishing . It’s basically “wax-on, wax off”.
Which product exactly are you "not recommending" to clean bugs of your windshield/airplane?? :D :D
g190526hybridceramicwax_hero.png
g190526hybridceramicwax_hero.png (70.69 KiB) Viewed 4950 times
g210256_hybridceramicwashnwax.png
g210256_hybridceramicwashnwax.png (108 KiB) Viewed 4950 times
g200416_hero_web.png
g200416_hero_web.png (70.51 KiB) Viewed 4950 times
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

Initially I washed the windscreen with water and hand rubbing. Then used the bright green bottle of ceramic polish . Now I just use the spray bottle of polish as per directions on the bottle . I wasn’t given the “wash and wax” bottle . I am still very happy with results but found you must buff it with a micro fibre cloth for the best results .
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

I have been using Lemon Pledge on my windscreen for 33 years and it still looks brand new. Spray it on to cover entire windscreen and clean with a super soft rag, I usually use an old T-shirt that is of the soft variety. Stubborn bug stains may need the help of a finger nail gently...

Joe
4518C
Vertical

Post by Vertical »

A lot of the old time, and not so old time AK pilots I used to know all used lemon pledge exclusively.

I did that for a while and now use Plexus and a brand new yellow costco microfiber every time. The microfiber gets rotated to other shop tasks after that and eventually ends up in the wash to be re-purposed again. I only wipe up and down in full strokes to keep any scratching in a single axis. An old timer told me this is so then when the screen gets older and the eventual scratching is there, it's all in one direction and less likely induce random glare and light refraction.

I keep a pump weed sprayer full of water at the hanger, and if there is any dust or excessive grime, I give it a pre-soak/spray to try to remove particles that might scratch, then do the plexus routine.

Sounds expensive or overkill, but keeping my newish windshield and bubble door windows as scratch free as possible is a no-brainer.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Vertical wrote:A lot of the old time, and not so old time AK pilots I used to know all used lemon pledge exclusively.

I did that for a while and now use Plexus and a brand new yellow costco microfiber every time. The microfiber gets rotated to other shop tasks after that and eventually ends up in the wash to be re-purposed again. I only wipe up and down in full strokes to keep any scratching in a single axis. An old timer told me this is so then when the screen gets older and the eventual scratching is there, it's all in one direction and less likely induce random glare and light refraction.

I keep a pump weed sprayer full of water at the hanger, and if there is any dust or excessive grime, I give it a pre-soak/spray to try to remove particles that might scratch, then do the plexus routine.

Sounds expensive or overkill, but keeping my newish windshield and bubble door windows as scratch free as possible is a no-brainer.
Good moves. The worst thing you can do is wipe/clean a plexiglass windscreen using a circular motion that is common to cleaning operations. Only make straight up/down wiping actions to avoid creating glares and halos, especially at night.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

My airport is on the coast with heaps of swamp and beaches. I have salt air and spray to contend with and heaps of bugs . When I get back from a trip to the beach ,it’s out with a fire hose . It’s about 2.25 in in dia and I can adjust the flow and size of the spray. Pressure is about 40 psi. I adjust the fan size and pressure is reduced from a single jet. A windscreen covered in salt spray and into the sun is not fun. I wanted some thing that would repel spray and leave a clear windscreen. It was after flying at about 1000ft along the Center of the island and looking at the surf crashing on the beach ,I was shocked to see the spray rising about 200 ft up from the crashing surf ‘’ I fly through that ?? “.
So when this ceramic polish turned up ,I thought I would try it. Over all I am happy with the result .
PS. I use a heap of WD 40 ,LPS3 and a couple of Boeing products to slow corrosion down on the aircraft .
Ps. We are required to test the fire hose and equipment at least once a month . So during the fire test the aircraft gets washed and hangar floor gets washed ,SUV gets washed ,and I get washed in the process.
bgiesbrecht

Post by bgiesbrecht »

GAHorn wrote:
Vertical wrote:A lot of the old time, and not so old time AK pilots I used to know all used lemon pledge exclusively.

Good moves. The worst thing you can do is wipe/clean a plexiglass windscreen using a circular motion that is common to cleaning operations. Only make straight up/down wiping actions to avoid creating glares and halos, especially at night.
Agreed - this is arguably just as important as which cleaner to use. No circular motions! Same typically applies to washing your car - vertical motions for side panels, horizontal on the hood/roof. Again, no circular motions, especially on dark paint.
Former owner of:
1953 170B
N1977C
s/n 26122
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Got a freebie sample window cleaner in a spray bottle from Mcfarlane aviation last time I was at Oshkosh (2019). Stuff works well, I’d buy more next time I’m down there.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS