General Robt. “Bob” Cardenas Gone West

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

General Robt. “Bob” Cardenas Gone West

Postby GAHorn » Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:25 am

General Cardenas was the Guest Speaker at the Awards Dinner, 2004 Tehachapi convention.
Miles and Karen Bowen were the Hosts and it was a really great convention!

763A1FB4-C2CC-43FE-B5C3-1A9C02622E4C.png
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
User avatar
GAHorn
 
Posts: 20092
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2002 8:45 pm
Location: Spicewood (Austin), Texas

Re: General Robt. “Bob” Cardenas Gone West

Postby Hawkeyenfo » Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:18 pm

Had lunch with him a few times, a GREAT American!!
Fly Navy !!!!

1941 Boeing PT-13D Stearman
1952 Cessna 170B
1960 Piper Aztec (PA23-250)
User avatar
Hawkeyenfo
 
Posts: 252
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:25 am
Location: Rosamond Skypark, Ca (L00)

Re: General Robt. “Bob” Cardenas Gone West

Postby Bruce Fenstermacher » Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:39 pm

George I think you have the wrong convention. I think it was San Diego, host Duane Shockey. I could be mistaken.

Beside the exact location, I remember his talk well because just before he started he handed me a thumb drive to put in to the computer. This was before Thumb Drives where common place and despite being a computer guy I could not get the drive into any slot in the computer. It was the first Thumb Drive I'd ever seen. Problem was which I didn't figure out until I saw my second Thumb Drive was the the Generals drive was missing it's metal shield. Had I seen his drive as my second one I could have figured out how to make it work.

Without his drive the General was without any visuals to show us, a real shame. He soldered on telling his story and describing each picture he had. It wasn't until he was done and gone that I truly realized who I'd been sitting next to and his significant contributions.

You never know who you might meet at a convention. And over the years we've met some amazing people, some where and are our own members but others like the General, someone you never knew thought you'd meet
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email:
N7A '49 170A -More original than most making folks GREEN with envy
N42532 '45 J-3 Clipped Wing Cub
User avatar
Bruce Fenstermacher
 
Posts: 10033
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 11:24 am
Location: Telford, PA Based at UKT

Re: General Robt. “Bob” Cardenas Gone West

Postby GAHorn » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:13 pm

I did not have the wrong convention. Gen Cardenas spoke first at the Tehachapi convention in 2004. It was very generous of him (and good work on the part of Host Shockey) for him reappear at San Diego.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
User avatar
GAHorn
 
Posts: 20092
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2002 8:45 pm
Location: Spicewood (Austin), Texas

Re: General Robt. “Bob” Cardenas Gone West

Postby cessna170bdriver » Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:34 pm

GAHorn wrote:I did not have the wrong convention. Gen Cardenas spoke first at the Tehachapi convention in 2004. It was very generous of him (and good work on the part of Host Shockey) for him reappear at San Diego.


You DID in fact have the wrong convention, George. Al and Kathy Hansen, warbird restorers from Mojave, spoke at the Tehachapi banquet (I know, I invited them. :wink:). General Cardenas spoke at the banquets at Las Vegas in 2002 (I know, Karen and I sat at the head table with him), and at San Diego in 2011. It’s all documented in The 170 News…
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
User avatar
cessna170bdriver
 
Posts: 3948
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2002 5:13 pm
Location: 45G, SE Michigan

Re: General Robt. “Bob” Cardenas Gone West

Postby GAHorn » Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:42 am

cessna170bdriver wrote:
GAHorn wrote:I did not have the wrong convention. Gen Cardenas spoke first at the Tehachapi convention in 2004. It was very generous of him (and good work on the part of Host Shockey) for him reappear at San Diego.


You DID in fact have the wrong convention, George. Al and Kathy Hansen, warbird restorers from Mojave, spoke at the Tehachapi banquet (I know, I invited them. :wink:). General Cardenas spoke at the banquets at Las Vegas in 2002 (I know, Karen and I sat at the head table with him), and at San Diego in 2011. It’s all documented in The 170 News…


That was a TEST to see if you were paying attention, Miles! :twisted:
(damm i hate it when that happens… I believe what caused me to make that error is that it was I seem to recall it was YOU who presented awards that night and that awards dinner is what prompted my memory of the event… I agree..it was Las Vegas… THX!)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
User avatar
GAHorn
 
Posts: 20092
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2002 8:45 pm
Location: Spicewood (Austin), Texas

Re: General Robt. “Bob” Cardenas Gone West

Postby Bruce Fenstermacher » Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:30 am

GAHorn wrote:… I agree..it was Las Vegas… THX!)


And he was at San Diego George. I wasn't at Las Vegas and there was no such thing as a USB drive then :wink: .

At Tehachapi the Hansons told the story of their PBY and flying it too Alaska. (Well the flew it someplace and I think it was Alaska :cry: )
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email:
N7A '49 170A -More original than most making folks GREEN with envy
N42532 '45 J-3 Clipped Wing Cub
User avatar
Bruce Fenstermacher
 
Posts: 10033
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 11:24 am
Location: Telford, PA Based at UKT

Re: General Robt. “Bob” Cardenas Gone West

Postby GAHorn » Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:27 pm

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:
GAHorn wrote:… I agree..it was Las Vegas… THX!)


And he was at San Diego George. I wasn't at Las Vegas and there was no such thing as a USB drive then :wink: .

At Tehachapi the Hansons told the story of their PBY and flying it too Alaska. (Well the flew it someplace and I think it was Alaska :cry: )


What am I missing, Bruce? I thought I’d already acknowledged that..
GAHorn wrote: …..It was very generous of him (and good work on the part of Host Shockey) for him reappear at San Diego.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
User avatar
GAHorn
 
Posts: 20092
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2002 8:45 pm
Location: Spicewood (Austin), Texas

Re: General Robt. “Bob” Cardenas Gone West

Postby Bruce Fenstermacher » Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:30 am

GAHorn wrote:
Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:
GAHorn wrote:… I agree..it was Las Vegas… THX!)


And he was at San Diego George. I wasn't at Las Vegas and there was no such thing as a USB drive then :wink: .

At Tehachapi the Hansons told the story of their PBY and flying it too Alaska. (Well the flew it someplace and I think it was Alaska :cry: )


What am I missing, Bruce? I thought I’d already acknowledged that..
GAHorn wrote: …..It was very generous of him (and good work on the part of Host Shockey) for him reappear at San Diego.


:oops: I'm the one missing stuff.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email:
N7A '49 170A -More original than most making folks GREEN with envy
N42532 '45 J-3 Clipped Wing Cub
User avatar
Bruce Fenstermacher
 
Posts: 10033
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 11:24 am
Location: Telford, PA Based at UKT

Re: General Robt. “Bob” Cardenas Gone West

Postby c170b53 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:00 pm

Me too, missed 2002 and 2004 but made 2011 which was great. Gary PBY ? There’s a story I’ve also missed.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
User avatar
c170b53
 
Posts: 2372
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2002 8:01 pm
Location: Vancouver B.C.

Re: General Robt. “Bob” Cardenas Gone West

Postby GAHorn » Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:46 am

c170b53 wrote:Me too, missed 2002 and 2004 but made 2011 which was great. Gary PBY ? There’s a story I’ve also missed.


There’s a LOT about Gary we’ll never know….
\
5A4DC665-101E-4664-B99B-08967D7BB57C.jpeg
5A4DC665-101E-4664-B99B-08967D7BB57C.jpeg (51.88 KiB) Viewed 673 times
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
User avatar
GAHorn
 
Posts: 20092
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2002 8:45 pm
Location: Spicewood (Austin), Texas

Re: General Robt. “Bob” Cardenas Gone West

Postby N3454C » Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:51 pm

I had the privilege to meet Gen. Cardenas at the San Diego convention when Duane Shockey invited him there to speak. In 2013 I twisted Duane's arm to help me get him to speak at the Pine Mountain Lake Aviation Assn. (http://www.pmlaa.org/newsletters/2013-02.pdf) dinner that year when I was President and needed a good speaker. We just needed to get him from San Diego to Pine Mountain Lake (E45) and he told us he would only fly in twin turbine aircraft. Well! We would surely accommodate! We made sure he had round trip service from San Diego, and even gave him a VIP tour of Yosemite!

Blue Skies, Sir!

63897_10151161906884159_1653316486_n.jpg


482239_10151161907804159_1346040904_n.jpg


559852_10151161907389159_1493044978_n.jpg


295554_10151161907989159_83108645_n.jpg

Gen. Bob Cardenas sharing stories with Clay Lacy, Wayne Handley and Vicky Benzing over a beverage - priceless!
User avatar
N3454C
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2002 9:48 pm
Location: Santa Rosa CA (STS)


Return to The Pilot Lounge

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests