Intercom

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Curtis Brown

Intercom

Post by Curtis Brown »

I have a chance to buy a PS Engineering Incorp.
PM 1000 II Interncom for $200. It is only a year or so old.
Just wondering what it is worth and what are we talking about to install it four place. I am using a portable softcom right now and bysides the intanglement of wires it seems to be picking up a squeel from the alternator.
What are some of the options with intercom installation? ie. locations of connections, types of systems, things to do or not to do!!!
Curtis
zero.one.victor

intercom

Post by zero.one.victor »

Chief Aircraft has the PM 1000-II listed in their catalog for $289 (plus shipping),including a jack kit.
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Does it come with a harness? If so it might be an OK deal. You can go to the PS Engineering website (Google search) where you can check it all out and also download an installation manual (at least for my PMA 4000 model).

PS has a really good reputation. I'm just about to try mine. I had PS build the harness and a local avionics shop do the nav com plugs. All that was embarassingly expensive but it made the installation mindless. The PMA 4000 solved the audio panel function for me although it's not TSO'd. Check with your local avionics shop.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
GAHorn

PS Engineering II Intercom/Installation

Post by GAHorn »

I have one of these and it works pretty good. It did fail recently in a way that made it appear to be my com radio. I sent the radio to the shop and $195 later got it back with a "could not duplicate problem" note. (It wouldn't transmit anything but a carrier in cold wx until it warmed up about 20 mins.) PS fixed their intercom for a flat fee of $29 and it works great again. I connected a hand-held mic plug directly into the Intercom-Com radio harness, so if it ever happens again, my hand-held mic will bypass the intercom. PS was very surprised this happend because they said the relays in their intercom are supposed to relax into a bypass mode when/if they fail. They did give me a 10 day turnaround. Your avionics shop can also mfr a plug to replace your intercom while it's at the shop. That way it'll be as if you had no intercom at all, but at least your airplane would still be flyable with the pilot's headset working.
I'll give you an installation warning,.....
Make certain you use shielded wires to install the jacks, and only ground the shielding at the intercom box, not the jacks. In fact, you're supposed to use insulating washers installing the jacks anyway. Both techniques will avoid "ground-loop" faults which will put a squeal into your ears otherwise.
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Remember about three weeks or so ago I ripped into my panel to move the transponder into the stack left of the pilots yoke making room by taking out the Softcom portable that someone hard wired into the system. I bought the PS Engineering PMA 4000 audio panel/intercom that fits into a 2 1/4" hole to replace the bogus Softcom. I bought the PS manufactured wiring harness for it also. Now I have a KX125, KX145 and a Collins transponder in the stack which looks very clean. I also added wiring for a Bose headset that a friend gave me as well as a Avionics master switch. All this was finished and powered up yesterday. Tense moment to be sure but no blue smoke!!! It tested out great and my wife and I flew it this morning.
The PS intercom is VERY nice. Very little noise and I love the audio panel part. The Bose is great. Count me as one happy camper.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180