What did you buy for your 170 today?

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

cessna170bdriver

Re: What did you buy for your 170 today?

Post by cessna170bdriver »

GAHorn wrote:.... but look out for all the junk spare hangar space attracts.) :lol:
That’s part of the problem in my home hangar... :oops: :lol:
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Back to the thread topic.... Not for my 170, but for our “training-wheels” 172.... new exhaust tailpipes, clamps, (discovered fretting pin-holes during preflight near the clamps) and an overhauled Vertical Gyro (gyro horizon). The existing gyro got “lazy” during our training x-country flight last weekend. Every 30 mins or so it would lazily roll over to show a 15-degree bank when we were straight-and-level then slowly return to normal. Did it 3 or 4 times over an hour flight. Since my student (step-son) is supposed to take that same x-country in-reverse this weekend I’m installing the exchange gyro tomorrow.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
brianm

Post by brianm »

Installed a set of McFarlane hinge pins. Very nice, nicer than the hitch pins from Ace Aviation Hardware that were on there. I probably could have found a better use for $90 but I'm already spending a bunch to repair the upper door hinges so why not go all the way.
Brian M
N2669V - '48
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

My turn and bank died the other day. It just froze solid. Ok. I thought I would get it overhauled . Wrong .. there isn’t a source of bearings in this country [australia]. Ok I will buy a new one . Wrong again. Nobody in this country stocks in their shop a vacuum driven T/B . Ok I buy a electric driven one . No way , the cheapest in this country is $2800 PLUS $500 for fitting . Why I asked? It’s a old aircraft and we do not know what we will find with the wiring . Hey friend ,”its vacuum driven ,no wires” But that’s the standard charge for aircraft over 5 years old ,he replied. . That’s eye watering . I asked several distributors why there is very little vacuum driven instruments for sale [new] , It’s all digital these days was the general answer. Buying a T/B from a wrecked aircraft ,to me is a little chancy. We are in changing times . So I will be waiting 3 weeks for a new digital one from Spruce . I can buy Chinese junk with no paper work. No way know would I do that.

Note.. just received a message from spruce, that they haven’t in stock a new T/B vacuum instrument and “may” have a overhauled instrument on the 16th may . But at $526 . I have to send the core of my instrument in . Ok the cost of 2 lots of shipping is around $250 plus cost of instrument . So it’s getting near the cost for a Garmin G5. Well that’s my excuse for buying a Garmin G5 .
Richgj3

Post by Richgj3 »

I bought a polish job for my 170B…. Or is it really for me?

Also McFarlane seat rails and flap roller kit
Attachments
BCA3B2BC-3D4C-46B3-B25A-D0943ABF994D.jpeg
6F5918C5-F998-4B8F-BB7D-06810F53AAAE.jpeg
Rich Giannotti CFI-A. CFI-I SE.
1952 C170B
N2444D s/n 20596
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Ghostflyer, My personal favorite instrument shop, Aircraft Quality Instruments in Wichita, has overhauled vacuum T&Bs for $365. http://www.flyaqi.com/gyro.htm
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

Thank you George for that but I have now ordered a Garmin g5 .hopefully I will receive it soon. The cost of shipping a T/B core over to the USA and return is eye watering. I thought of going totally digital instrumentation [all glass] but it’s a lot of work and heaps of down time . Plus all my engine instrumentation is EI electronic and works well. So,I,will stick with a couple of G5,s in the future.
Just had a look at the recommended instrument shop and their prices are really good. Will keep them in mind for the future.
drew.fultz90

Post by drew.fultz90 »

It's been a few months, but I recently installed an uAvionix AV-30C in my '48. I really like it so far! I also have some new 800X6 tires on the way.
4179V Panel
4179V Panel
Drew
Starkville, MS
Coolin170

Post by Coolin170 »

Bought a set of CIES fuel senders. Even though I had my original fuel gauges checked out a few years ago, still very inaccurate in flight.
My fuel used counter very accurate, but didn’t know how much in the tanks until after landing.
I think they just recently offered the four bolt attachment and longer rod that reached through the four inch tube from attach point to tank.
Hopefully my A&P can install in the next few weeks.
The attachment IMG_2517.JPG is no longer available
IMG_2515.JPG
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

Coolin170,
Those fuel gauges look great and it’s some thing I should be fitting myself . So the million dollars question where can you buy these and for how much . Another issue is how accurate are they . Does the float mechanism require a power supply ? I have been looking for a capacitance type as I have found my float type /direct reading gauges are all over the place .
Coolin170

Post by Coolin170 »

The CIES senders were $830 for the pair,
CiES Fuel senders do require a power wire for operation
https://ciescorp.net/applications/small-aircraft/cessna

If you go with Aero space gauge, the senders require the Aerospacelogic FL202D, senders will also hook up to other gauges.
Bought my gauge a year ago, not sure of current price, Aero Space Logic out of Ontario, Canada,
http://www.aerospacelogic.com/index.php ... uct_id=249
Both CIES and Aerospace Logic very helpful by phone.

I have heard claims that they are within a gallon or two, will let you know when my A&P installs them.
I agree, my gauges have been all over the place also. On more than one occasion I’ve landed after long flight, I have long range tanks, thinking my fuel level was equal in both tanks, only to find out after landing that my left tank was empty and right tank half full.

They used a longer arm than the original on this configuration so could stay away from using an extension tube (see below).
I asked my A&P how he was going to get the wide float through the small tube from the gauge to the tank, he said just disconnect the arm, drop it down the filler cap, catch it and hook it up again. Smart guy.
!cid_0170DDD8017D4D588DAD0BF1A1D91758@meyersPC.png
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

My gauges are powered by avgas and when the tanks are empty they quit moving. They’re durable... lasted 65 years with only one rebuild, and they don’t take up any valuable instrument-panel space. :wink:
Coolin170

Post by Coolin170 »

How do you know they quit moving in flight with empty tanks? :D
4583C

Post by 4583C »

Finally covered my floor. Took a while to find the color and texture I wanted. Weight is 11 lbs.
586E5F0E-44DA-49FE-AE99-2A0615B5D470.jpeg
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Coolin170 wrote:How do you know they quit moving in flight with empty tanks? :D
One at a time! :wink: Mine ran about 15 minutes after the needle stopped bouncing off the peg.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne