Cessna Pilots Assoc

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

n3833v

Cessna Pilots Assoc

Post by n3833v »

[img]%20Is%20it%20an%20advantage%20to%20belong%20to%20this%20association%20in%20addition%20to%20the%20170%20Assoc?%20Aircraft%20updates,%20etc?%20I%20would%20like%20to%20know%20where%20our%20best%20information%20comes%20from.[/img]
Bill Venohr

Post by Bill Venohr »

My brother flies a T210 and is a member of CPA. When I was looking for a 170 he called to ask their technical advisors if they knew of any specific things to look for on a 170. Their first response was don't get a 170. After he pushed them a little, they basically said look for corrosion. Not much help and you get the impression more interested in the newer/higher number birds. I've read some articles from them and they were well written and had nothing to do with a 170. So I decided I would rather buy a tank of gas.
Bill Venohr
N4044V
Aurora, CO
GAHorn

CPA and COO

Post by GAHorn »

There are two other generic Cessna oriented clubs. The Cessna Pilots Association (CPA) and the Cessna Owner's Organization (C00). Of the two, CPA is better staffed and more knowlegeable, and their magazine is better organized and more informative. The COO is actually edited by a Piper owner (who is chief editor of Piper Owner Organization). I quit sending them money two years ago, but they keep giving me free subscriptions and membership because I log onto their discussion forum and give them my opinions. Go figure. Shows how truly desparate they must be. :? (Periodically they offer to take me on staff and pay me, but when I quote them a price they fall into silence for another year, change editors, then contact me again and start the whole discussion over again. I don't believe they can get or keep qualified tech help or editorial help over there. A distinctive characteristic of their magazine, Cessna Owner Magazine, is it's pages and pages of advertisements and it's editorial page written by their Piper Owner.)
CPA does have a more technically oriented magazine, but it's oriented primarily to 210/Centurion owners (which is their original audience.) They are not interested in Vintage or Classic airplanes because their advertisers don't make any money off of that type aircraft. They are particularly unqualified on our 170's except as 172's are similar by happenchance. Their forum is pretty "snooty", prefering to cater to themselves and not particularly accomodating to "outsiders" (which is anyone who owns anything that's not a 172, 172RG, 182, 182RG, Cardinal, or 210.)
A better organization in my own opinion is the Vintage Aircraft Association, a subsidiary/associate of EAA. Although not particularly directed at our aircraft, they at least understand and address issues common to our type. (Also, Cleo Bickford, TIC170A Historian and Charter Member, and owner of two 170's, is a technical advisor and frequent article contributor over there.) You'll also get a discount on certain insurance and other aviation products because you'll automatically have EAA membership.
Last edited by GAHorn on Thu May 16, 2002 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe West

Re: Cessna Pilots Assoc

Post by Joe West »

I find their magazine to be pretty high quality with respect to information.
I will renew this month with them just for their website and magazine.

Joe West
n3833v wrote:[img]%20Is%20it%20an%20advantage%20to%20belong%20to%20this%20association%20in%20addition%20to%20the%20170%20Assoc?%20Aircraft%20updates,%20etc?%20I%20would%20like%20to%20know%20where%20our%20best%20information%20comes%20from.[/img]
GAHorn

Cessna Owner Organization

Post by GAHorn »

Speaking of which, ... today's mail contains a special promotional offer from the COO,...
They will give me a 20% (?) discount if I renew my subscription this month. They claim that by renewing now, 6 months early, I'll save them a lot of money because they won't have to remind them later to remind me then... :?
So they're going to pass that savings on to me now. If I renew.
Let's see now...
Ought plus ought and carry the one..... uhmmm ... :roll: Just how much is that, anyway???