Headset Reviews

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

n3833v

Re: Headset Reviews

Post by n3833v »

I put power connectors beside the headset plugs and no worries about batteries. Still do what we always wanted.

John
John Hess
Past President 2018-2021
President 2016-2018, TIC170A
Vice President 2014-2016, TIC170A
Director 2005-2014, TIC170A
N3833V Flying for Fun
'67 XLH 900 Harley Sportster
EAA Chapter 390 Pres since 2006
K3KNT
Jim Collins

Post by Jim Collins »

Back in the early 80's I did not work for Bose but I worked for another acoustic company and while there, I designed a human model piece of test equipment that Bose used to develop the ANR technology. As a result, during the R&D phase, there was a lot of back and forth consulting work between myself and the engineers at Bose. So, in a kind of round about way, I helped co-develop the ANR algorithms that makes Bose ANR work. A couple years later when Bose was in production of these headsets, I gave them a call and pointed out that I am a pilot and could I please buy a set at cost. They told me no. Ever since I have been a little upset with them.

Anyway, I wanted to point out that if your radio/intercom has enough output power (and most newer ones do), then to get the best noise reduction all you have to do is to put some foam earplugs in your ears and then using a headset that seals around the ear, turn the volume up. You will get about 5dB or more noise reduction than is physically possible with any ANR headset no matter who builds it.

Thanks

Jim Collins
C170B N2488D
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

I bought Karen a Lightspeed Zulu 3 headset for her birthday back in March, and since there was a $100 discount if you bought two, I got one for myself.:lol: Many of the reviews I read said the ANR performance was comparable to the Bose A20, but the passive performance (in case of dead batteries) of the Zulu 3 surpasses that of the A20. With about 25 hours on them I’ll say I’m quite pleased, especially the notable decrease in fatigue after the nearly 10-hour day getting to SnF. So far both headsets are still working on the off-brand AA batteries that came with them. I did use the Bluetooth feature to listen to music from my iPad on one leg, but, while quite enjoyable, I don’t see myself using it on a regular basis due to the decrease in battery life and the fact that I haven’t yet figured out how to get them to pair automatically.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

Most of my aviation life I have owned David Clark’s [all different models] due to their robust build. but at Oshkosh ,my wife won a sennheiser S1 head set as a lucky door prize . Battery life is about 50 hours but I find them the best all round headset . I have found Bose just too hot to wear in our climate . The same with light speed also. Plus the ear pads do not last that long and fall apart. Unfortunately Sennheiser has left the aviation market which is unfortunate as they made a good product. One thing I didn’t appreciate from Bose is that they had their own quick attach fitting and when jumping into another aircraft you would find only the standard 2 prong fitting and the Bose headset was useless.
IA DPE

Post by IA DPE »

We use Bose A20s in our 170. I'm willing to spend the money to save our hearing.

I use DC Pro x2s in my day job and they are great for a loud jet (which is still quieter than a 170). I've used them in GA flying and they're "ok."

I used Telex Airman 8 ANRs in a quiet jet and they were great for that. Not so much for anything else.
1955 C170B N2993D s/n 26936
1986 DG-400 N9966C
4583C

Post by 4583C »

My bride does not like over the ear headsets. She will start out with it on and I’ll say something ...no answer ...I’ll look over and the headset is in her lap! I got her one of the Halo headsets and she actually likes it. So far she has worn it thru the whole flight every time and usually answers when I speak. I tried hers one day when she wasn’t around and promptly picked up a used one from flea-bay and really like the lack of weight, lack of clamp, lack of sweaty ears and the sound quality. Not quite ANR quiet but surprisingly quiet.
darhymes

Post by darhymes »

I purchased a “U Fly Mike” kit a few years ago. Since I already owned Bose QC25 headsets, it was a cheaper way to try something different than the usual David Clark’s, Lightspeed, etc. Turned out to be a happy accident. They are amazing. The headsets are lighter and more comfortable than any other ANR (or passive) headsets I have owned. Last year, I found some QC25s on eBay for 80 bucks. Ordered them and a new U Fly Mike kit and now I have a matching pair for the front seats. My trusty, 20 year old David Clark H10s are still on board for back seat pax.

The U Fly Mike setup works very well, but you have to know what they sound like when the battery dies. In my plane, the ANR feature goes away and the ATC volume drops considerably. I’m spring-loaded to turn up the radio volume and then grab a fresh AAA from my door pocket for a quick change. The ANR feature works pretty well (albeit not as well as higher-end ANRs) in the high noise environment of the 170 but it struggles a bit during takeoff. Once airborne, the noise reduction becomes normal again. They are also non-TSOd but that doesn’t bother me.
Dustin Rhymes
'55 170B N4410B S/N 26754
'06 G550 “The Silver Bullet”
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

4583C wrote:My bride does not like over the ear headsets. She will start out with it on and I’ll say something ...no answer ...I’ll look over and the headset is in her lap! I got her one of the Halo headsets and she actually likes it. So far she has worn it thru the whole flight every time and usually answers when I speak. I tried hers one day when she wasn’t around and promptly picked up a used one from flea-bay and really like the lack of weight, lack of clamp, lack of sweaty ears and the sound quality. Not quite ANR quiet but surprisingly quiet.
Maybe you should get Debra to wear them around the house? :twisted:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

ghostflyer wrote:… One thing I didn’t appreciate from Bose is that they had their own quick attach fitting and when jumping into another aircraft you would find only the standard 2 prong fitting and the Bose headset was useless.
I believe you’re talking about a LEMO plug, the advantage of which is that it allows the headset to operated on ship’s power instead of batteries. There are adapters that will allow the headset to be used in aircraft equipped with standard mic and phone jacks, as well as adapters to allow standard headsets to be used in LEMO-equipped airplanes.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
bgiesbrecht

Post by bgiesbrecht »

I flew with DC 13.4 for many years when I was younger - eventually bought a set of used Bose X ANRs and loved them. Tried the A20, really actually didn't like it so I resold it shortly after buying it. Ditto Lightspeed. Back to the Bose X for awhile, until I tried the QT Halos. I really actually love them - it takes a bit more effort to find a good fit, but once you do, they're super light and comfortable. I love that I can wear hat/glasses and no interference with a headset. They are just as quiet as ANR to me if not moreso, no batteries to deal with, and crisp/clear audio. The newer version has a more robust cable to it as well and the price is great.

I have never tried Clarity Alofts though, and would probably like them even more than the Halos. For me, once you try in-ear there's no turning back. My wife also ended up stealing my set of Halos so I had to order another pair.
Former owner of:
1953 170B
N1977C
s/n 26122
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

I’m ashamed to admit how many Bose headsets I own, but suffice to say, my family is covered with A20s and I use the Pro Flights for my day job.

Don’t dislike Lightspeed, rather I really love their cord and their passive reduction is better than Bose, I’ve just hitched my wagon to their horse.