Insurance

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

flaglor

Re: Insurance

Post by flaglor »

My broker called today and told my my policy was up for renewal in 8 days. Not much notice. New guy.
170B. 85k hull. 1 million liability. $2300, which is about the same as last year. I am an ATP with lots of tailwheel time. My son is the issue: PP, instrument, 300 TT with 110 in the 170 and 220 tw. Any opinions on whether this pricing is reasonable?

On a separate note they will not insure him at all in my Bonanza, even though he has 60 hours of pic in it. Not even for dual only. How exactly does a person get a commercial rating, which requires 10 hours of complex time, if they won’t write coverage for the dual? I told them to cancel the hull coverage on the Bonanza since it won’t do me any good. I’ll be damned if I’m going to rent another airplane for 10 hours when I own one.
brianm

Post by brianm »

The commercial requires 10 hours of complex or "technically advanced airplane". Been that way for 5 years or so. The flight schools pushed it through because they wanted to be done with retracts. So now you can go zero->CFI in the same G1000 172.
Brian M
N2669V - '48
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

flaglor wrote:My broker called today and told my my policy was up for renewal in 8 days. Not much notice. New guy.
170B. 85k hull. 1 million liability. $2300, which is about the same as last year. I am an ATP with lots of tailwheel time. My son is the issue: PP, instrument, 300 TT with 110 in the 170 and 220 tw. Any opinions on whether this pricing is reasonable?

On a separate note they will not insure him at all in my Bonanza, even though he has 60 hours of pic in it. Not even for dual only. How exactly does a person get a commercial rating, which requires 10 hours of complex time, if they won’t write coverage for the dual? I told them to cancel the hull coverage on the Bonanza since it won’t do me any good. I’ll be damned if I’m going to rent another airplane for 10 hours when I own one.
Have you shopped around..?? The amount on the 170 sounds reasonable …but getting him insured in the Bonanza shouldn’t be such an issue.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
brianm

Post by brianm »

Got my quote for renewal today. Actually went down this year, a whole $6.
Brian M
N2669V - '48