Tailpipe problem !

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

butchpilot170

Tailpipe problem !

Post by butchpilot170 »

Hi ! Does anyone out there know the best way to remove the tailpipes from the mufflers . Mine seem to be carboned up and I don't want to hurt the muffler by twisting and pulling the way it is ! Thx, the ButchPilot !
cessna170bdriver

Re: Tailpipe problem !

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Make sure the clamp is completely removed. One side of the clamp has a short pin that goes through holes in both the pipe and the outlet of the muffler to keep the pipe from rotating or falling out if the clamp gets loose. Just loosening the clamp won't necessarily disengage the pin.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
butchpilot170

Post by butchpilot170 »

Thx ! I know what u r talking about when it comes to the clamp/pin but there is no clamp of any kind and it is not even tack welded. This was a "running eng. " when I got it . Sounds pretty dangerous , right ?
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Most folks have problems with tailpipes which are too LOOSE... and you are COMPLAINING..??? :lol:

(More serious solution: Heat the tailpipes-to-muffler joints with a propane torch and they should pop right off.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
butchpilot170

Post by butchpilot170 »

Thank you Gahorn ! the ButchPilot !