ADS-B uavionix updates

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Jtramo

Re: ADS-B uavionix updates

Post by Jtramo »

Can’t say enough good things about uAvionix and the Skybeacon.

Initially, I had incredible trouble with the flight test portion. Tried different thresholds and flight patterns. Must have done 8-10 flights! I was in contact with UAvionix and sending my failure reports for their analysis.

Finally they asked if I would be willing to do a flight with a data logger that would pick up the signals of all the equipment to see if that led them to any conclusions. I did and offloaded the data and sent it in.

They saw a pattern in my data that only around 5 other failed aircraft (at this point out of thousands) had. They then flew an engineer down to see where and what kind of interference was blocking my ADSB signal. Checked the power to the unit. Set up a second beacon to the battery to make sure it wasn’t my unit itself. We tried different power settings and isolated mags. Cycled any and every electrical item individually. Tried just about everything while recording data for analysis. The quick and dirty conclusion from the field testing was that the only time the ADSB out signal was blocked was when the transponder was on ALT. Ironic.

At this point I felt it was an issue with the vintage transponder (RT-359A) that I felt I had to fix so I bought a reasonably priced used GTX-327. I sent them my old 359 for continued testing.

Once I got my GTX-327 going I passed on the first flight test with the factory default settings.

UAvionix followed up with me the other day with the reason for the original 359s failure. While it tested just fine in the plane and on a bench and was “strong,” it was a little too strong! Instead of replying to ATC radar when queried (interrogated whatever it’s called) it was constantly signaling at a rather high power/signal level. Forgive my layman’s terms as I retained as much info as my mechanical and not electrical brain could.

In summary it was an issue specific with my old unit. It was jamming the outbound signal so strongly I would be jamming anyone flying near me as well in theory. No way to test that and I don’t often get flight following so ATC was never able to tell me.

UAvionix went above and beyond, not only testing to find a solution for me but for anyone else that came up with this issue like mine. They advertise that it works with any transponder, and they want to be able to stand by that. From what I understand failures of older digital transponders (or even newer digital units) stem from the transponder itself and not skybeacons ability to work with it. I’ve even seen users bashing their skybeacon on Facebook and after asking a few questions you realize they aren’t flying the validation test flight even close to properly.

There’s plenty of installers and garmin dealers out there spreading rumors of problems with Skybeacons and rather silly justifications for installing $5-7000 transponder units in everything because it brings in more money for them. Well if you have a $18,000 Cessna 140 or even a $30,000 170 you’re not getting much out of these other systems for your money, and it’s a ton of investment just to satisfy the ADSB requirement. Your engine doesn’t run better. Your interior or exterior doesn’t get prettier. You don’t increase load or range. You just make the FAA happy.

I’m happy with my reasonably priced Skybeacon ADSB, and I just use a ADSB in Stratux until that I got for $200. I see the same if not way more then someone with just the $5000 transponder.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

With the supervision of our resident SkyBeacon author I programmed mine at convention and made the requisite flight in ICT Class C...and failed.
We reprogrammed it to 32% (from the preset 35%) as that had been recommended for Karl’s Narco AT150 (which we both have) and I missed an opportunity to do the specified flight. However, on the way home from convention I requested flight following from EWK to OUN (Norman OK lunch stop) and then again from there to home.
Afterwards a check on the first leg showed a PASS... on a flight that disregarded the entire prescribed profiles. My rebate should be on the way shortly.

It appears that uAvionix may have preprogrammed their units with a bit too much sensitivity..??

I plan to program the 172 this morning at 32% for it’s first flight and will report back. (It too has a Narco AT150)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
170C

Re: ADS-B avionix updates

Post by 170C »

Now that uAvonix has received their TSO authorization for the TailBeacon (July 5), they still must write the STC and who knows what else before they will be able to start production and shipping of the pre ordered units. They say delivery should permit installation by the January 2020 deadline.

Now my question. I applied for the rebate and was given a rebate code to be used to obtain the rebate once I have the unit installed and it has met the requirements by flying as prescribed. However, in May when I applied for the rebate reservation I gave an installation date of July 31 based on information given me by their folks at SNF. Based on the information received from uAvionix it would appear that delivery of my unit might be much later than July 31. I realize I have 60 days after installation to do the flight check, but if the unit isn't received until much after July 31, am I going to be able to get an extension on the rebate deadline? I'm sure uAvionix is just as anxious as are their 2100+ prepurchase customers to get the units into the hands of their customers and get the income those will generate. They did say they have doubled the production capabilities.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
GAHorn

Re: ADS-B avionix updates

Post by GAHorn »

170C wrote:......, am I going to be able to get an extension on the rebate deadline? ......
Frank, ...either you are asking a rhetorical question..... (??)... OR, you are asking the wrong people to get an answer. Most of those present will likely tell you to contact FAA rebate people... or they’ll have to guess an answer.

My Answer: You’ll have to ask FAA for an extension ...and see if they’ll do so. But, if you think about it, the FAA isn’t responsible for a company’s production schedule... They’ve offered you a rebate based upon your promise to make the installation by a certain date.
YOU have to meet YOUR promise to install by that date if you want them to keep up their end.... they don’t care how or who you buy your ADSB from...that’s YOUR choice. (Sorry if this sounds didactic... it’s just the arms length view of your scenario.)

I was worried that uAvionics would not get their SkyBeacon to me in time to make my rebate deadline and so I called uAvionix...and wonder-of-wonders...they instantly shipped me a SkyBeacon they supposedly had said they hadn’t yet produced. :wink:
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
wabuchanan

Post by wabuchanan »

Ole Pokey,

You state that they can't start production until the STC is done. But on their website, they state they have two production lines going right now to meet demand and will be shipping as soon as the STC is acquired.

https://uavionix.com/downloads/tailbeac ... cement.pdf

Gahorn, maybe I have misunderstood you, but the Skybeacon and Tailbeacon are two different units. Ole Pokey is talking about the tail beacon.
1950 170A N5776C SN:19730
170C

Post by 170C »

Upon further examination (rereading :oops: ) I see that my installation, flying and requesting the rebate must be completed by 09-29-2019. I'm not sure how that date was determined as it doesn't match with the date of my rebate request, the rebate code notification, etc., but the main thing is I have until the above date to get everything completed and as mentioned in the post above, they have advised they have the two production lines and, in my opinion, their writing the stc should be a quick procedure. I suspect the stc draft was waiting on their computer awaiting the tso approval and all that might be necessary would possibly tweaking some wording in the stc.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

wabuchanan wrote:........
Gahorn, maybe I have misunderstood you, but the Skybeacon and Tailbeacon are two different units. Ole Pokey is talking about the tail beacon.
Perhaps I misled when I responded. I was not speaking particularly of the tailBeacon or SkyBeacon... but of uAvionix customer-service. When they publicly stated they had no stock available... I called them and spoke to a person and explained I needed to make a flight shortly to convention where I was planning to address their product and.... VOILA!... suddenly they had one shipped to me (despite their public comments none were yet available.... I was requesting a SkyBeacon AND a SkySensor. Their tailBeacons are under-production despite their yet-to-be-approved STC paperwork. I was suggesting that perhaps a call to customer service would provide Frank a better and more accurate answer than asking a forum full of opinionated well-wishers who have no position with uAvionix. :wink: