Empty Spot in Instrument Panel

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

MoonlightVFR

Empty Spot in Instrument Panel

Post by MoonlightVFR »

I am going to take a few new passengers up. Never been in small GA plane.
A/C is 54 C170B, S N 25433 mfg JUly 1954.

I want new passengers to Enjoy flight and not worry about missing instruments in panel.

At far right of panel above the glove box I have two (2) of the smaller mounting holes.

My question to the forum is What would normally go there?

I do not need any additional instruments.
Are false filler panels available?

G
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
n2582d

Re: Empty Spot in Instrument Panel

Post by n2582d »

Grady,
Although no simpler part could be made for your plane you can still buy the genuine Cessna cover plate, p/n 0713200-7, from Preferred Air Parts. A cheaper alternative would be a cover from Aircraft Spruce. Take a look at figures 44, 77, 79 and 80 in the IPC to see that optional instruments included a suction gauge, CHT, manifold pressure gauge and carburetor temperature gauge.

Often for new passengers a sense of control will help eliminate the fear of flying. One idea might be to install a dummy ON-OFF switch in a blank hole and label it “MCAS”. After takeoff initiate phugoid ... :twisted:
Gary
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
edbooth

Post by edbooth »

A piece of aluminum or plastic and flat black paint works great. :D
Ed Booth, 170-B and RV-7 Driver
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

n2582d wrote:Grady,
Although no simpler part could be made for your plane you can still buy the genuine Cessna cover plate, p/n 0713200-7, from Preferred Air Parts. A cheaper alternative would be a cover from Aircraft Spruce. Take a look at figures 44, 77, 79 and 80 in the IPC to see that optional instruments included a suction gauge, CHT, manifold pressure gauge and carburetor temperature gauge.

Often for new passengers a sense of control will help eliminate the fear of flying. One idea might be to install a dummy ON-OFF switch in a blank hole and label it “MCAS”. After takeoff initiate phugoid ... :twisted:
You’re a sadistic man, Gary!

That’s why I like the piano key panel...not a lot of holes to worry about filling.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

MoonlightVFR wrote:I am going to take a few new passengers up. Never been in small GA plane.
A/C is 54 C170B, S N 25433 mfg JUly 1954.

I want new passengers to Enjoy flight and not worry about missing instruments in panel.

At far right of panel above the glove box I have two (2) of the smaller mounting holes.

My question to the forum is What would normally go there?

I do not need any additional instruments.
Are false filler panels available?

G
Blanked-out inst. holes might raise as many questions as open holes... maybe not tho'. I have a few Cessna Royalite false panels with "blanks" from other airplanes sitting in the hangar attic which you're welcome to. PM me which address to mail them to. When are you planning the flight? If very soon, you might follow Ed's advice.... simply paint a square of aluminum flat-black and slip it behind the panel. You can either mount it permanently or use velcro.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
4583C

Post by 4583C »

DB4BEC64-D930-44AE-BEC8-668916CD3F7D.jpeg
DB4BEC64-D930-44AE-BEC8-668916CD3F7D.jpeg (14.75 KiB) Viewed 14147 times
Grady here is my suggestion to fill one of those holes :lol: Available from Sporty’s
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

If you’re really a glutton for punishment you could just make a new one. I changed the size and shape of several holes to suit my instruments, and deleted a couple of holes I no longer needed.
BEFORE
BEFORE
DURING
DURING
AFTER
AFTER
More details here
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
kaufman

Post by kaufman »

Although not the cheapest option, I filled in the last hole (far right side) in my panel with a slip indicator. I found it a very useful and informative instrument for curious passengers. With just a little explanation about coordinated flight and how to " kick the ball to the center" the passenger gets confidence that controlling an airplane is more intuitive than technical, and just plain fun. A more advanced passenger can also serve as autopilot if I want to take a little break, something they cannot do smoothly in turbulence without command of that axis.