Plastic Water Bottle on Runway - Responsibility

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

MoonlightVFR

Plastic Water Bottle on Runway - Responsibility

Post by MoonlightVFR »

This morning 6-27-2019 a Loose Plastic water bottle causing causing concern at Reagan DC airport runway 1.

Each individual has an increased responsibility to KNOW what happens to our used containers.

make earth a paradise.
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
hilltop170

Re: Plastic Water Bottle on Runway - Responsibility

Post by hilltop170 »

Flying an amphib Super Cub from Palm Springs, FL to Port Alsworth, Alaska in May caused me to stop in Regina, SK to clear Customs. Regina has a tower and a front had just passed thru the area with wind in the 35mph range causing some traffic problems. I had been instructed to do a few 360s for landing airline traffic and when finally cleared to land I could see a 4'x8' sheet of styrofoam blowing across the airport in front of me. Tower told me they were going to close the runway when I was on short final because of the styrofoam. I told them I could clearly see the white sheet tumbling across the runway and would be sure and miss it if I could go ahead and land. I did not want to circle any more. They agreed and cleared me to continue.

You just have to keep your eyes open and make a good call on what you are going to do when things out of the ordinary happen.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!