Anybody in the PHX Metro area?

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Desertdave

Anybody in the PHX Metro area?

Post by Desertdave »

Hi all,
I’m on the hunt for a 170B and would love to see your plane and get a lesson on what to look for and what to look out for. Please direct message me and I’ll get you my contact info.

Thank you,
Dave S
IA DPE

Re: Anybody in the PHX Metro area?

Post by IA DPE »

When I decided to buy a 170, I joined the association and researched the forums which helped me make an informed decision. I am an A&P though at that time was 20 years "out of practice." The information I learned gave me confidence to do my own prebuy and it's been a great plane.
1955 C170B N2993D s/n 26936
1986 DG-400 N9966C
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Look out for:
Anything that will not pass an Annual Inspection. Particularly:
Corrosion, especially inside wings and at wing attach blocks inside hat-section carry-through.
Hollow aluminum axles.
Unrecorded repairs.
Missing STC paperwork and installation instructions.
Damaged/Worn Rudder cables within aft bulkhead compartment.
Vertical stabilizer attach “L” brackets attached with ordinary AN bolts instead of correct internal-wrenching bolts.
Internally rusted elevator torque-tubes.
Cracked elevator bellcrank at aft bulkhead (from allowing the elevator to “drop” onto the stops, especially on ragwing and A-models which do not have balanced elevators.
Cracks at tailwheel attach bracket, especially early steel “box” brackets (as opposed to large aluminum “alligator mouth” brackets.)
Cracks in upper plate of aluminum “alligator” tailwheel bracket.
Exhaust system cracks/leaks and mismatched types (pancakes mixed with Hanlon Wilson)
Fuel selector valve problems (Leaks or difficult/hard/frozen unable to turn, especially the early all-brass types.)
Incorrect Engine/prop models not on Type Certificate without approval-basis.
Leaking fuel or fuel stains at wing root (indicating old/worn fuel tank support/mounting).
Wrinkles or damage at doorposts, landing gear box (look beneath/between gear legs) and loose gear leg wedge fitment.
Modified instrument panel to “center stack avionics” without STC specific to 170 aircraft or other approval basis.
Original Goodyear brakes (expensive and troublesome to find parts.)
Brake/wheel conversions without approval basis (STC or field approval)

OK item: Disconnected/Disabled parking brake system.

Get an annual inspection before laying down money.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
rnealon1

Post by rnealon1 »

Modified instrument panel to “center stack avionics” without STC specific to 170 aircraft or other approval basis.
Hi George,

Not to hijack this thread but what is the legal issue here? I am planning an avionics upgrade that would move them to the center.

Thanks,

Bob
Bob Nealon

Southbury, CT
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

rnealon1 wrote:
Hi George,

Not to hijack this thread but what is the legal issue here? I am planning an avionics upgrade that would move them to the center.

Thanks,

Bob
The legal issue is the approval-basis... as long as it’s approved there is no problem. The most common center-stack-avionics panels involve modification of the control-yoke system from a “T”-shaped control column behind the panel to a “Y” shaped one to accommodate the avionics length/depth. Some of them substitute 172 systems ...some involve cutting and/or re-welding the column and/or changes to the chain/sprockets. One method is to use an instrument panel modification STC which is not approved for the 170s. It should be considered that flight control modifications are major alterations that require an approval-basis.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
rnealon1

Post by rnealon1 »

Hi George,

Thank you, that makes sense. Mine is not really a center mount in that sense, no alteration other than relocating to open space in the panel.

Bob
Bob Nealon

Southbury, CT
Desertdave

Post by Desertdave »

Thanks for the input.