Oil Analysis

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

170C

Oil Analysis

Post by 170C »

Who uses oil analysis?
Who do you use?
What is it costing?
For the past year or two I have been using Lab One Aviation in Phoenix. I just ordered two new sample kits along with two postage paid, return envelopes. Total cost $40.50. Each kit-$12.00; each postage paid shipping envelope-$3.25; ($30.50); shipping of sample kits $10.00 ($40.50) Just wondering how these costs compare with what others are seeing.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
brian.olson

Re: Oil Analysis

Post by brian.olson »

I use them as well. I am fortunate that Aircraft Spruce is (literally) 100 yards away from my airport so it's a quick stop over there to pick up oil, a filter, and a test kit whenever the mood strikes me. I believe I pay $12 or $13 for each kit but that does not include postage on the envelope. I send in a sample at each oil change. I usually get results via email within 4-5 days, and the nice thing about that lab is that they include past results so it's easy to see trends.
Brian
1950 170A
N5762C s/n 19716
n3833v

Post by n3833v »

I have used Blackstone and buy kits at Oshkosh at discount.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/about-us/

John
John Hess
Past President 2018-2021
President 2016-2018, TIC170A
Vice President 2014-2016, TIC170A
Director 2005-2014, TIC170A
N3833V Flying for Fun
'67 XLH 900 Harley Sportster
EAA Chapter 390 Pres since 2006
K3KNT
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Consistency of method is mandatory when using oil analysis. If I ran a fleet of commercial equipment I might use a laboratory-service.
When I flew for the state I was curious why they didn’t use analysis on the 40-something aircraft and hundreds of other vehicles the state operated. The Dir. of Mx opined that there were a half=dozen unexpected engine failures he’d witnessed in his approx 30 years with the state and couldn’t think of a single one that would have been prevented by oil analysis. All other difficulties requiring repairs displayed plenty of warning signs in the course of operations without the need.

I use BlackDrum analysis. It’s free. When I drain the oil, it goes directly from the engine oil-drain into a black drum cut from the bottom of a 55 gal barrel where it is analyzed by eyeball to make certain it is still dirty when it is poured into old oil bottles headed for Wally’s oil collection service when sufficient amount is gathered to make the trip worthwhile. OIl filters are cut open and magnetically inspected for iron/steel. I have consistently used this method for decades and never experienced results that commercial-lab services would have surpassed while saving many $$$.
I change cylinders that develop compression issues and overhaul my engines when they are worn out just like everyone who use lab-spectro services do. There are very few instances where private owners have saved money or avoided catastrophic engine failures using those services, and those that have most often observed other tell-tale signs beforehand. But it’s an interesting exercise. I expect it may be useful to help sell the airplane if results are made available to buyers tho’.
(I don’t expect my opinion to be popular and it gives little comfort to those that tend to worry, but it costs less than an analysis kit.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)