New Member Introduction

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

flybefree

New Member Introduction

Post by flybefree »

Just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself as a new member. I joined recently and I am actively searching out a 170B to purchase. I have my TW endorsement but only a few hours of TW time and wanted a fun plane to take the kids to breakfast and on local flights. My wife and I are both pilots and my Dad flew Birddogs in Vietnam so I really love the look of the 170. We live in Central Ohio and have a 1500ft grass strip with an empty hangar. We farm full time and are raising three boys 7/9/11 years old. After taking them to Oshkosh this Summer we decided it was time to get another airplane to enjoy with these boys before they grow up. Anyhow, that's the short version...see you around the forum!

v/r

Shaun
counsellj

Re: New Member Introduction

Post by counsellj »

Welcome. Good luck on the search. You’ll love it when you find one.
170C

Post by 170C »

Welcome to our association. I believe you have made a valuable choice. Lots of good folks on the forum and lots of good information and a lot of opinion :lol: . Good luck with your shopping for a 170.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
Aeroplane

Post by Aeroplane »

Welcome! I’m sure you’ll make memories those boys will cherish for a lifetime.
Louie Hanna ‘49 A model
flybefree

Post by flybefree »

Thanks, the goal is to pass on the love of flying and aviation to my boys. My Dad was a pilot and I never forgot flying with him!

v.r.

Shaun
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Welcome!
What other model airplane did (still) you own?
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
flybefree

Post by flybefree »

I had a 1951 Navion that I sold a couple years ago...had it for nine years and really enjoyed it. Prior to that I had very little retract time...my first airplane and enjoyed the ownership experience. I have a nice little grass strip behind the barn and an empty hangar and three kids that need a ride every and then to breakfast. I am in an flight club...but really want to have a classic taildragger too.

v/r

Shaun
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Well, that Navion was certainly faster...but you’ll enjoy the shade of a high-wing Cessna on a sunny day! :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
flybefree

Post by flybefree »

We bought the Navion as a cross country traveling machine, and it was great for that. We have nice 182 in the flight club for those trips. I thought a 170 would be a fun compliment to the 182.