Calling All Rotorheads

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

n2582d

Re: Calling All Rotorheads

Post by n2582d »

George, Collecting ratings is a slippery slope. Years ago I flew with Robert Briggs — “Bouncing Bobby”. He holds the record for the most FAA ratings. Before the FAA retired the ATP gyrocopter rating he was able to add that to his list — something competitor Barry Schiff was unable to obtain. At work, whenever the company introduced a new aircraft, he was on the training list for that additional type rating. I recall him being anxious about the cost of obtaining tilt rotor certification. He was of the opinion that if one held a rotor wing and fixed wing certification one should be qualified to fly a tilt rotor. Needless to say he was single and didn’t own a house.
Gary
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Yeah, that’s a big unknowable (the unexpected expenses.). :lol:
We’re lucky our girls are so reliable and affordable! I’ve seen other examples and certainly couldn’t afford them. :lol:

(Someone will undoubtedly think of the old saying about owning versus renting certain pleasures.). :mrgreen:

I’ve found three Enstroms in my price-range, two F280 and one F28A. I’m still in the learning-curve and may just take the simpler way toward the rating and learn in the local R22 despite my misgivings about that model.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
flyboy122

Post by flyboy122 »

gahorn wrote:
I’ve found three Enstroms in my price-range, two F280 and one F28A. I’m still in the learning-curve and may just take the simpler way toward the rating and learn in the local R22 despite my misgivings about that model.

George,

Sorry, I've been in Ecuador all week talking with customers down there. I you want more info on Enstroms call me anytime. (I'll pm you my number, or you can just call the factory and ask for me.) I have a soft spot in my heart for A model Enstroms since that's what I got my rating in. It's also probably the easiest to own helicopter you can buy.

The local R22 route being simpler is a fallacy. Look up the SFAR and ask yourself why it needs one when NO other helicopter does. It doesn't fly like other helicopters. You are going to spend a lot of extra time/$$ fighting that thing. Every year at Oshkosh I talk to fixed wing pilots who dreamed about helicopter flying, went the Robbie route, and gave up with a dejected "Sigh, I guess it wasn't for me." You don't want to be that guy.

BTW, if you haven't read it yet, download the FAA's Rotorcraft Handbook. It's one of the best primers on helicopter flying out there. Also, you may want to consider going straight to a commercial certificate. It's only 50 hours (vs. 30), but most pilots take 40-45 anyway so you aren't really doing much more flying. The checkride is basically the same, with the commercial maneuvers being done to a slightly higher standard.

Dennis Martin
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

THANKS, Dennis! I’ll take your advice!
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

Mmnn, something I have noticed .no body is or was a Robbo fan.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

ghostflyer wrote:Mmnn, something I have noticed .no body is or was a Robbo fan.
When the roof blew off my house while we were away at convention last June, the ins. Co. sent a roofer to the house to install a membrane for temporary protection. The guy that did that work turns out to be the local EMS helicopter pilot. HIs brother owns/runs a roofing company.
The pilot WAS/used-to-be a policeman but he became “born-again” (his description) and, following Divine-Inspiration, he quit the police force and bought a R22 and gained the rating. He applied for a job with the local EMS and was laughed out of the area.
A few years later he was called and offered the job he originally wanted because the new guy EMS planned to hire couldn’t move into the area immediately. Having spent the intermediate-year or two hopping from fling-wing-job to job (using his past police connections presumably) ... he rec’d a desperation-call from local EMS to ask if he still wanted to fly in this EMS area.
Now the local EMS helicopter occasionally circles my house to view the exact-same standing-seam new roof his competitor installed when he declined to meet the $12K lower price. ($40K instead of his $52K, but he did tell me to have a “blessed day”).
How does this relate to this thread? He owns/loves a R22 which he said God provided him to build time to get helicopter jobs and says he loves the machine and keeps it at his house. I didn’t ask him if he found the love of objects conflicting, because I think I understand that part... I’ve always found that pilots love their current ride....(I’ve even heard MU2-pilots praise that contraption and I once listened as a Hansa-jet-pilot explained how those mexican-school-bus seats were advantageous to performance.). :roll:
So, if one “owns” a Robinson it’s likely to be loved. If God leaves one in my yard this year I will love it just like I love the stray-dog He sent us.
But, After thinking over Bruce’s personal advice to me, I doubt if one ever fully-owns a helicopter. I think one only pays for it (in the words of Johnny Cash).... “one piece at a time”.
n3833v

Post by n3833v »

George, did you check how much insurance is? My friend had a Bell and cost him $13,000,00 for 6 months. Just another thought.

John.
John Hess
Past President 2018-2021
President 2016-2018, TIC170A
Vice President 2014-2016, TIC170A
Director 2005-2014, TIC170A
N3833V Flying for Fun
'67 XLH 900 Harley Sportster
EAA Chapter 390 Pres since 2006
K3KNT
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

n3833v wrote:George, did you check how much insurance is? My friend had a Bell and cost him $13,000,00 for 6 months. Just another thought.

John.
That may be a “loaded” question.... Which model Bell? A Jet Ranger? How much hull? How much liability? How much experience PIC? Etc etc etc.
flyboy122

Post by flyboy122 »

gahorn wrote: But, After thinking over Bruce’s personal advice to me, I doubt if one ever fully-owns a helicopter. I think one only pays for it (in the words of Johnny Cash).... “one piece at a time”.
Hi George,

For what it's worth, I pretty much agree with everything Bruce has said and told you as well. Like airplane ownership, helicopter ownership is sort of what you make of it. It's not hard to spend a lot of money, but there are ways to save money also.

Given the average lifespan of aircraft, and myriad of owners they go through, I've come to the conclusion that we are really caretakers. I think that's kinda part of the fun.

DEM
n3833v

Post by n3833v »

If I recall, it was a 206 and it was a business expense for his construction company.

John
John Hess
Past President 2018-2021
President 2016-2018, TIC170A
Vice President 2014-2016, TIC170A
Director 2005-2014, TIC170A
N3833V Flying for Fun
'67 XLH 900 Harley Sportster
EAA Chapter 390 Pres since 2006
K3KNT
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Here’s an interesting video about the “Birth of the Bell 47 Helicopter”
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k562IriqnlA
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

gahorn wrote:Here’s an interesting video about the “Birth of the Bell 47 Helicopter”
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k562IriqnlA
Great video George, thank you for posting it!
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

WOW, that was great . I had read about it in text books but the video gave a better pictorial history of the development of the helicopter. I was told once that Robinson who now builds his own helicopter [R22,R44] used to work for Bell in the tail rotor area. Thank you George.