Propeller talk

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Deputydog

Propeller talk

Post by Deputydog »

I know this has probably been beat to death, but curious if anyone else is running a Sensenich prop?

I recently purchased a new (to me) 170A. It has a Sensenich 7458 prop that was originally a 54" (climb prop), the previous owner repitched it to 58" (cruise prop). I want to go back to a climb prop since I'll be doing some backcountry flying next year. Any issues doing another repitch to 54"?

Also the prop was overhauled in 2012 and now has about 200 hours on it. Is there a life for a prop when it should be replaced?
1950 Cessna 170A model
GAHorn

Re: Propeller talk

Post by GAHorn »

Fixed pitch props are “on condition” for replacement and mfr’s generally recommend overhaul at engine TBO, in this case 1800 hrs, however that is largely ignored for pt 91 operators who usually remain “on condition”. Your prop shop should be able to determine if the prop will remain airworthy after they repitch it.

Hope that helps.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

Some where I recall that they have a overhaul life of 2200hrs . Yes the prop,can be repitched but it has to be checked by a good prop,shop. It’s not that simple just to flatten out the pitch again . I would talk to sensenich yourself and be guided by them.
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

It is my understanding when a prop is “overhauled” the specs require a certain amount of metal to be removed from the entire prop to re-contour the airfoil. Props only have so much metal that can be removed before they fall out of dimensional specs.

Also if a prop has damage that requires metal removal to get back into conformity, that also reduces the number of times the prop can be re-certified.

Some folks send props to the shop to be IRAN’d only. Inspect and Repair as Necessary. No metal removal is required other than necessary.

Before anyone buys a prop, they should have it sent thru a reputable shop to do a complete evaluation of condition to include dimensional checks and NDT for cracks and defects.

There are many “perfect” looking props out there that are un-airworthy.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
Deputydog

Post by Deputydog »

I ended up taking it to a Sensenich dealer who checked it over and repitched it back to a 54" (climb prop). They said the prop looked fine and was within Sensenich's specs.

I'll put it back on and see if I can tell much difference between the cruise prop and climb prop.
1950 Cessna 170A model