Taxi/landing light switch

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Re: Taxi/landing light switch

Post by GAHorn »

Frank, waay back about 2001 my generator wasn’t charging during climb-out when I did an instrument scan. I pulled on the Master Switch firmly and it began to charge. I figured the switch must not have been firmly set (although I always check for an ammeter “charge rate” after startup right after I check for oil pressure.)**

Next flight, same thing. I took the switch out and opened it up by bending the little tabs which hold the phenolic backing-plate onto the metal can. The contacts inside were dry and slightly dull (not bright). I used fine-grit sandpaper (wife’s emery board....don’t tell her) to brighten up the contacts. I applied a little “dab” of white lithium grease. I reassembled the switch and it’s worked perfectly ever since.

** This little “after-start” checklist I recommend All to perform: The engine start tests the battery capacity. (If it’ll rotate/start the engine it is capable of storing charge for emergency use, which is the REAL TASK of a battery, not starting.) Immediately after engine-start I check for OIL PRESSure.
Next, I check the Ammeter for BATTERY CHARGE RATE to prove the gen/alt works. THEN I check for vacuum if I have a vacuum pump. THEN I add power to taxi...and THEN I release the brakes (because that tests them. Who wants to taxi without brakes?

During the run-up/magneto-check I make certain the ammeter charge-rate has dropped back down to near-Zero, indicating the battery has re-charged and is safe for take-off (because if the gen/alt then fails after take-off I should have sufficient battery-power to get me around the circuit for landing.)

After exiting the pattern, I do a complete instrument scan again. And again upon reaching cruise altitude. And again beginning descent. And again beginning approach (In-range check), And again during landing-checks. And again after landing/shut-down.

But you guys probably ALL do those things.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
170C

Re: Taxi/landing light switch

Post by 170C »

When I remove my switch I will see about opening it to see if it might have the same issue as your switch. If I'm lucky it might be fixable.
Of course I always check those vrs cks you mentioned :mrgreen:
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018