My first P-51 lesson (DCS)

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Kyle Wolfe

My first P-51 lesson (DCS)

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

A few weeks back before this COVID-19 lockdown hit, I had a chance to fly a buddies Digital Combat Simulator (DCS) P-51. Quite the experience and likely the only P-51 I'll ever fly!

While wearing virtual reality goggles, I had to complete the start up procedure according to the book. The taxiing and take off were pretty good (hey - we're taildragger pilots, right? How tough can this be?). The flying went pretty well but it takes some time to get familiar with the response and controls. The landing was, well, not very good. I crashed. And I crashed. And I crashed.

The VR goggles really made it a neat experience. You turn left and look over your shoulder and there comes an enemy aircraft! Very realistic.

My buddy meets up with other flyers on line and they go on sorties flying as a wing, meeting up with others to fight.

I always looked down on 'gamers' but after this experience I might think differently. I was impressed!

My buddy says he has around 2 aviation monetary units in the whole setup. And he's acquiring other aircraft too to fly. He says rotocraft are tough! But no 170s available yet.

Just thought that if you're home bound and looking for another distraction/hobby..... :wink:
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005
3958v

Re: My first P-51 lesson (DCS)

Post by 3958v »

A few years ago I actually got a chance to fly the real thing. One day an older gentleman in our EAA chapter came to me and said when he first came to the chapter I had given him a ride in my 170 and he wanted to repay the favor. He had hired a dual P51 for the day and gave some of the of us who contributed to the chapter each a half hour in a P51. It was an experience I will never forget we did loops rolls and high speed passes. Sure never expected a P51 ride in return for a 170 ride. Bill K
Polished 48 170 Cat 22 JD 620 & Pug