Cessna 170B Checklist

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

DC_Wolfe

Cessna 170B Checklist

Post by DC_Wolfe »

I know this subject has come up a few times, but thought I would add my own addition to the list.

I like paper checklists. I have a tendency to obsess about them. Developing one also helps me learn an airplane. And, since I fly a lot of different ones, I like to have limitations listed in case I get a bit brain dead in flight.

Although Foreflight is great and all (and I use it), paper works best for me. Using my wife's (a student pilot) input, we put together a bi-fold (fold in half length-wise, then, in half again...) preflight and Normal/Emergency Checklist based on our specific airplane with a Garmin GTX335 transponder and O-300D engine. Limitations listed are for our specific configuration, and your mileage may vary.

Keep in mind the checklist is designed for someone new, either to the C170 or to flying. It's pretty long. The "landing" checklist, for example, is really a memory checklist (good old "GUMPFS"). My wife likes it there for when she chair flies and studies, but it could easily be removed.

The emergency checklist is somewhat generic also.

Oh, our airplane has an alternator rather than the original generator, hence the references.

In any case, perhaps it will help new owners develop their own.

Any comments/suggestions are appreciated! If you want the MS Word files (for editing) let me know. They are a bit larger.

Also, if you use OpenOffice/LibreOffice, the format gets totally wrecked with my .docx files. Google also messes it up.

Tailwinds,
DC

**EDIT**
Naturally right after I posted this we made a major revision to match our flow check closer for the '53 model, which doesn't have the piano keys but pull knobs instead. With the pre-taxi checklist, we now start at the fuel selector, then trim, then top row of throttle/switches, then second row of switches/ignition. For those with piano keys you'll definitely want to rearrange to more easily match your flows.

The "Radio" pull switch is now the "alternator" on/off switch on in our airplane.

Anyway, a major change in the order (but not the items) on the Pre-Taxi checklist... Current revision is now Revision 7.
Attachments
Normal-Emergency-Checklist-C170-bifold.pdf
(224 KiB) Downloaded 708 times
Preflight-Checklist-C170-bifold-portrait.pdf
(183.4 KiB) Downloaded 709 times
Last edited by DC_Wolfe on Sun May 03, 2020 11:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'53 B Model: Ser. #26055
Kevin Pearce

Re: Cessna 170B Checklist

Post by Kevin Pearce »

The checklists look very professional.
The only correction I can see is Engine Fire -Flight, should include Fuel Off as well as Idle Mixture IMHO.
I have a 170B with a 0-360, if it is possible to have a word format version of the checklist I can adjust for my engine
. That would be very useful thanks.

Kevin
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Why would one cut mixture and mags off if an engine failure on takeoff?

It seems to me that after maintaining flying speed (70mph) that those items should be checked ON and Fuel ON, etc. :?:

If on the ground or with sufficient runway, then ABORT, with throttle IDLE and brakes APPLY. :?:

IN BOTH cases, after above actions: ANNOUNCE!
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
DC_Wolfe

Post by DC_Wolfe »

gahorn wrote:Why would one cut mixture and mags off if an engine failure on takeoff?

It seems to me that after maintaining flying speed (70mph) that those items should be checked ON and Fuel ON, etc. :?:

If on the ground or with sufficient runway, then ABORT, with throttle IDLE and brakes APPLY. :?:

IN BOTH cases, after above actions: ANNOUNCE!
That one was a cut and paste I believe from a Cessna 172 checklist. Never really liked the way it's written.

I *think* the intent was the checklist was a "immediately before touchdown" - assuming you're airborne and assuming you've already done a trouble shoot. It's more of a "Secure" checklist it seems like. I teach that checklist as a "just prior to touchdown, you do that checklist by memory. Whatever you remember, you remember."

By the way, on a separate subject, you'll notice that we check the magneto ground both before taxi, and before shutdown. When I was a student pilot (oh so many years ago) we only checked it on shutdown.

What are your thoughts? Before taxi? Before shutdown? Both? What do you think?
DC_Wolfe

Post by DC_Wolfe »

Kevin Pearce wrote:The checklists look very professional.
The only correction I can see is Engine Fire -Flight, should include Fuel Off as well as Idle Mixture IMHO.
I have a 170B with a 0-360, if it is possible to have a word format version of the checklist I can adjust for my engine
. That would be very useful thanks.

Kevin
Well the intent was it was included... Under the "Forced Landing W/O Power" checklist... Hmm... Might need to rephrase that.

In revision 7 I changed the final line from "Forced Landing... Execute" to read "Forced Landing Checklist... Complete" to avoid any confusion.

Thanks!!!

PS - The board doesn't allow docx extensions... send me a PM and I will email it.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

DC_Wolfe wrote:[

By the way, on a separate subject, you'll notice that we check the magneto ground both before taxi, and before shutdown. When I was a student pilot (oh so many years ago) we only checked it on shutdown.

What are your thoughts? Before taxi? Before shutdown? Both? What do you think?
I have a personal aversion to switching mags off-then-back-on while the engine is running because I don’t like what that does to crankshaft floating counterweights. Once a month, usually when I’m on a fast turn-around (such as at refueling pumps) I’ll kill the engine using the magneto switch instead of the mixture. After I re-start and go fly (or go to the hangar/tie-down) I kill it the usual way with mixture.
I also attempt to pull the key from the switch without switching mags off IAW some switch AD notes (tho’ not mine.). These are just habits I got into years ago.
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
DC_Wolfe

Post by DC_Wolfe »

G,

Always interesting to hear the mechanic/pilot viewpoint vs just pilot (or CFI's) ... One CFI years ago was adamant about doing the ground check, stating, "What if your mixture cable breaks? You'll have no way to shut down the engine! Check it every time!"

Ya, and it might snow in Florida, too, I suppose.

Thanks for the input!
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

DC_Wolfe wrote:G,

Always interesting to hear the mechanic/pilot viewpoint vs just pilot (or CFI's) ... One CFI years ago was adamant about doing the ground check, stating, "What if your mixture cable breaks? You'll have no way to shut down the engine! Check it every time!"

Ya, and it might snow in Florida, too, I suppose.

Thanks for the input!
I’m right there with you. Most switches have a specification that tells you how many reliable operations you can expect over its lifetime. There’s no good reason to double the number of operations per flight, thus halving the life expectancy of the switch. I shut down with mags if I know I’m going to be restarting in a few minutes, as when I refuel. In that scenario, it always starts on the first compression stroke, saving wear and tear on the starter. The switch is tested, and there are no unnecessary operations. :wink:

What if the mixture cable breaks AND the mag switch won’t work either? I’d shut off the fuel. :roll: Even when doing failure mode analysis in the rocket engine testing world we dismissed the probability of dual simultaneous failures as too remote to worry about. (And the consequences of a rocket motor failure are way more dire than not being able to shut down an airplane engine.)
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
TFA170

Post by TFA170 »

cessna170bdriver wrote:[ Even when doing failure mode analysis in the rocket engine testing world we dismissed the probability of dual simultaneous failures as too remote to worry about. (And the consequences of a rocket motor failure are way more dire than not being able to shut down an airplane engine.)
We call that a "double what-if" - I don't generally acknowledge those other than to say it'd be a bad day if it happened. ;)
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

cessna170bdriver wrote:
What if the mixture cable breaks AND the mag switch won’t work either? I’d shut off the fuel. )
Exactly!

And just to TEST that fuel valve ..... I occasionally leave it in the OFF position.... to see if the engine dies immediately after I begin to taxi.... :lol:
DC_Wolfe

Post by DC_Wolfe »

Updated the checklist again. Minor changes this time.

* Slight change in order on the Pre-TakeOff Checklist (Mixture set before pulling and leaving on the carb heat).
* Typos
Attachments
Normal-Emergency-Checklist-C170-bifold-8.pdf
(223.77 KiB) Downloaded 460 times
DC_Wolfe

Post by DC_Wolfe »

New format. My wife decided she wanted to be able to fold the checklist in half and put in "paper-protector" - essentially the same thing we do with approach plates.

So here's that format (landscape, meant to be folded in half)! Not much change in the list, just a a few minor tweaks. Added the airport diagram to the back page. If anybody wants the .docx (MS Word) version, just send me a pm and I'll email it to you so you can tweak for your airplane/preferences.

Tailwinds,
DC
Attachments
Normal-Emergency-Checklist-C170-landscape.pdf
(391.56 KiB) Downloaded 410 times