Maintenance Induced Emotional Roller Coaster

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

dstates

Maintenance Induced Emotional Roller Coaster

Post by dstates »

Two steps forward, one or two steps back. Am I the only one who thinks they are about done with a job just as a new issue pops up? It has been an Emotional Roller Coaster!!

I bought my 170A last June and new my first annual would be a big one. Plans included installing a new left aileron, fuel tank gauges and LED nav/strobe and landing lights with the addition of a new piano key switch and wires.

Plane came into the hangar on January 19th.

The new switch and wires turned into all new wiring behind the panel for all the switches and replaced fuses with circuit breakers... ok, just some scope creep. That is to be expected.. CB panels and new wiring went ok, just a lot of time.

Then, a rudder centering spring was discovered broken, not easy, but got it done.

Went to top off master cylinders and one of them wouldn’t build pressure. Ended up replacing lock-o-seal and piston o-ring twice and bled it multiple times to get it to work.

Found radio antenna coax had a spot that was worn through to the shielding so replaced coax. Then had radio squeal when transmitting. That eventually went away, but now when I press the push to talk switch my generator cuts out. I still need to figure that one out.

After running the engine for the first time since it was in the hangar we found a fuel leak at the selector valve. Apparently it is one of the 170 owner rights of passage. After installing and removing it three times it takes more time to drain the fuel than it takes me to remove and replace. Maybe I should hire out to other members...

Now that fuel valve is fixed, I was closing up the plane after testing the voltage regulator/radio issue, and found that the passenger door latch mousetrap spring is broken. Was fine yesterday.

What is left on the special 170 list that is going to get me once the latch is fixed? It’s May 17th now. Will I be flying by June?

Throw in the coronavirus and it has been a heck of a spring. On the positive side, because of all the shutdowns I’ve had more time to work on my 170, my A&P IA is great, I’m becoming very familiar with my plane and the list of possible things to replace has to be getting shorter....

Just had to vent a little. Doug
N1235D - 1951 170A - SN: 20118
wabuchanan

Re: Maintenance Induced Emotional Roller Coaster

Post by wabuchanan »

Doug,

I understand your frustration. I've just finished my 5th annual. I started it early January, and finished it by the end of April. I've been through a couple of 3-4 month annuals. My first two were doozies, then a couple of quick ones. And then this last one.

Gotta love 70 year old airplanes eh? I've been following your fuel selector valve issue closely. I like your solution.

If you want to chat offline, send me a note and I'm happy to compare our experiences.

Bill
1950 170A N5776C SN:19730
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

dstates wrote:After running the engine for the first time since it was in the hangar we found a fuel leak at the selector valve. Apparently it is one of the 170 owner rights of passage. After installing and removing it three times it takes more time to drain the fuel than it takes me to remove and replace. Maybe I should hire out to other members...
Doug,
I admire your perseverance! It doesn't help now but next time you might consider leak checking the valve prior to installing it. Here's one way to check for leaks.
Gary
MoonlightVFR

Post by MoonlightVFR »

Emotional Roller coaster.

Its true

Put some dollar signs to a complete recheck of your C170.

Start at tip of prop spinner and work to the tail position light.
Add in the monetary value of your time.

I say $30,000 average.
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
bgiesbrecht

Post by bgiesbrecht »

Ha, yes I was down for pretty much all of the first quarter this year! My selector also took a dump the first day of ownership, before I even got the thing - thankfully it was in Richard's care at the time being ferried across.

Besides the first annual, I converted to a B&C starter and put in an alternator, and dealt with some quirks like a bad engine-to-airframe ground before I got back up in the air. Deep breath, you'll get there. I ripped past my friend this weekend and he took this pic!
Attachments
c170_pass_resized.jpg
Former owner of:
1953 170B
N1977C
s/n 26122
dstates

Post by dstates »

Finally made it to the top of the climb! My 170A flew again today with all squawks addressed!
67D93737-9586-4C13-9F1E-875052CB032C.jpeg
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

What was the radio problem?
dstates

Post by dstates »

DaveF wrote:What was the radio problem?
I put some details in my other post, but essentially it was that my comm coax was run along my generator field wire. This was causing some RF interference and creating a voltage spike in the field wire shutting off my regulator. All we had to do was clip some zip ties and run the coax at 90 degrees to the field wire and add some distance between the two.

I was just trying to make all the wire routing behind the panel neat and orderly. :D
C170U2

Post by C170U2 »

Glad you got her flying. Old airplanes will give you a lot of ups and downs for sure. Eventually the ups will start to outweigh the downs! Stick with it and consider it the price you pay to really take ownership of your bird. Getting to know your new machine is an important part of the ownership experience. The more you do to her, the more confident you will be flying her all over this great country!
JSwift

Post by JSwift »

C170U2 wrote:Glad you got her flying. Old airplanes will give you a lot of ups and downs for sure. Eventually the ups will start to outweigh the downs! Stick with it and consider it the price you pay to really take ownership of your bird. Getting to know your new machine is an important part of the ownership experience. The more you do to her, the more confident you will be flying her all over this great country!
Very true. I’ve worked side by side with my A&P for a good portion of my last three annuals and other repairs to include rudder return springs, fuel selector valve, fuel vent tubes and more. Getting to know and love your vintage beauty is a big part of the fun, which eventually will include the “fly - have fun - repeat” cycle.
N2594D, 1952 170B #20746
Near Enfield, CT
Let's go fly!
dstates

Post by dstates »

The roller coaster is going again. Had good success with a cylinder replacement in the fall, but in my final fit up of a new windshield today I lifted it from the center on the bottom edge instead of the sides and it cracked. I now have to order another windshield. I’m definitely not making it to Sun n Fun now…. :(
IA DPE

Post by IA DPE »

Oh, wow Doug. Sorry for your situation. :(
1955 C170B N2993D s/n 26936
1986 DG-400 N9966C
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

It depends on the size of the crack but it can be repaired correctly to the point where it’s “nearly as good as new . The secret of playing with “plastics is keeping it warm as possible . A windscreen has to be supported in the Center and not allowed to flop about. If you haven’t got a hot air gun , a hair dryer is a good use but I use old rags dipped into hot water and draped over the plastic windscreen when fitting. . It also helps the removal of the paper/plastic protective layer. I have been told by very informed people beer is good for helping the removal of the protective paper/plastic layers.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

DANG IT. I've probably done something like that a time or two ...
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Yup, Yup and Yup.
Surprised a new window would crack.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS