Medical Marketing

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

MoonlightVFR

Medical Marketing

Post by MoonlightVFR »

I feel healthy.

Dr trying to convince me I have A fib.

I feel healthy - home check blood pressure - good

What are they trying to sell?
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
GAHorn

Re: Medical Marketing

Post by GAHorn »

Afib is a common occurence as we age. Lots of men don’t know they have it. It is hazardous primarily because it can contribute to stroke. A medication that helps prevent it is available by Rx. The medication is FAA approved for “blood pressure” regulation. Not sure it’s FAA approved for Afib treatment so it’s probably better to not have that diagnosis. Prevention is much better than having Afib, especially if you intend to keep flying. Or living.
One of our long-time Members is a retired Air Force flight surgeon who might have an opinion on this. I’ll ask him.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
wabuchanan

Re: Medical Marketing

Post by wabuchanan »

They are not trying to sell you anything. Atrial Fibrillation means the upper chambers of your heart are not beating in sync with the lower chambers of your heart, in the simplest of terms.

That fibrillation is like a little mixer banging your blood cells around. They can form clots of varying sizes. Those clots often go to your head causing all sorts of bad strokes. They also have the possibility of going to your lungs. Depending on size and where they lodge, can be very serious. Last but not least, they can get into your coronary arteries causing heart attacks.

Your primary concern are strokes however, and you need medication to slow down and/or convert your A-fib back to a Sinus rhythm. You also need a medication to keep your blood from clotting.

You need a Cardiologist who can work with your AME, because there is a lot of paperwork. I'm sorry you are going through this.

If you are willing to do that paperwork, do what the Physicians have you do, you can still fly. My dad is just about 90 and still flies. He is also still a CFI. He has had A-Fib and an Aortic dissection with repair.

It is doable.
1950 170A N5776C SN:19730