Fuel changed colour in one tank

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

170C

Re: Fuel changed colour in one tank

Post by 170C »

Green is the proper color on our gauges. Red is bad! Hard to get green any respect, but let things turn red and see the sweat pop out on your forehead :mrgreen: :lol:
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

170C wrote:Green is the proper color on our gauges. Red is bad! Hard to get green any respect, but let things turn red and see the sweat pop out on your forehead :mrgreen: :lol:
Yep, I agreee... Green is Lower/Slower... and it’s why a RED-line is found, for example, at the TOP end of our Airspeed Indicators. :twisted:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

GAHorn wrote:
170C wrote:I have noticed on a couple of occasions that 100LL placed in a clear, plastic bottle and exposed to sunlight will lose its blue color. Becomes clear. Still smells the same and will still run my tug.
You realize, Pokey, that the higher octane 100/130 has even MORE lead in it to make it burn s l o w e r (not detonate)... and that’s why they color it GREEN.
And the 115/145 has to mix red and blue (purple) to get it to burn even slower... :lol:
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

cessna170bdriver wrote:
GAHorn wrote:
170C wrote:I have noticed on a couple of occasions that 100LL placed in a clear, plastic bottle and exposed to sunlight will lose its blue color. Becomes clear. Still smells the same and will still run my tug.
You realize, Pokey, that the higher octane 100/130 has even MORE lead in it to make it burn s l o w e r (not detonate)... and that’s why they color it GREEN.
And the 115/145 has to mix red and blue (purple) to get it to burn even slower... :lol:
Yeah... contaminating red is bad Ju-Ju.
:lol:

Anyone got a PURPLE One-Seventy?
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
4583C

Post by 4583C »

GAHorn wrote:
Yeah... contaminating red is bad Ju-Ju.
:lol:

Anyone got a PURPLE One-Seventy?
Actually saw one @ KXBP last week. I was up on the ladder adding fuel when he taxied by. It was nearly dark and I didn’t have time to chase him down. As usual I can’t get the pic to load but I’ll email it to you George!
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

John Nielsen of Flight Resource has a purple 170.