180 horse prop comparison video

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

TFA170

Re: 180 horse prop comparison video

Post by TFA170 »

I downloaded this file from Flight Resource page. It's a comparison of a couple MT props, the original HC prop, and the Trailblazer. This is a sales pitch sort of pamphlet, so the ever so slight edge given to the MT in every category may be suspect. I've heard from others that there's not much difference between the MT and the Trailblazer, but I don't know if anyone has truly done a back-to-back test either. I've heard at least one Trailblazer owner who said he saw more static thrust than what is shown in the Flight Resource MT page I've attached.

Talking to folks with them - for a while, at least, MT required you to send your damaged blades back to Germany. Flight Resource would loan you a prop, I think, but my understanding is there are now stateside service centers and certain types of small dings can be repaired in the field not unlike aluminum props. I do not believe this is an option on the Trailblazer.

These run in the neighborhood of $15K+

One thing to note in the video comparing takeoff distance is these were "fly off" distances - in other words, no effort was made to max perform the plane and the newer props may give an added advantage here. It will be minor, but a minor performance increase plus the already demonstrated minor performance increase may not be as minor as either one taken alone.
Attachments
MT Prop c170-172-175-performance-test-data-r1.pdf
(17.19 KiB) Downloaded 247 times