Finally...

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

IP076

Finally...

Post by IP076 »

After quite some time looking, and about a month since actually purchasing one, I've finally got an airplane of my own at home.

I flew out to GRR 10 days ago, spent some time visiting friends and becoming proficient with Mark from Arise Aviation. After finishing my insurance check out, spent some time exploring the area with some friends and their tailwheel colt. Some wonderful airports to visit in West Michigan.

While there, a friend was trying to hone his photography skills...so I gladly volunteered 64C as a test subject. I've attached some pics...I'd say his skills were pretty sharp to begin with!

After an oil change I departed 8D4 for the long trip to North Idaho. Stopped to visit friends at KDTG (Dwight, IL) and then spent the night in 06C (Schaumburg, IL). Day two was the killer day...06C to KAUM (Austin, MN) to KATY (Watertown, SD) to KHEI (Hettinger, ND) to KBIL (Billings, MT). Got some practice in some gusty winds at ATY and HEI! I took it easy from there doing a single leg on day 3 to KGTF (Great Falls, MT) to visit some friends for the day. Early start on day 4 made for cool temps and smooth air crossing the Bob Marshall Wilderness area, Flathead Lake, then joining up with I-90 all the way to our hangar at KCOE. Overall it was just over 20 hours of flight time, including a couple of flights taking friends up along the way.

Really looking forward to future adventures...

windsock.jpg
plane in bank.jpg
plane with sun.jpg
plane with backlight.jpg
c170b53

Re: Finally...

Post by c170b53 »

KCOE...you lucky dog...congratulations on a successful hunting trip
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
C170U2

Post by C170U2 »

Beautiful pictures! Congratulations on the new airplane, you’re sure to have a lot of fun with her!
Richgj3

Post by Richgj3 »

Beautiful! Welcome. I’m sure you will continue to enjoy it

Rich
Rich Giannotti CFI-A. CFI-I SE.
1952 C170B
N2444D s/n 20596
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Wow, beautiful! Where were all these nice airplanes back when I was shopping?

Congratulations!
IP076

Post by IP076 »

DaveF wrote:Wow, beautiful! Where were all these nice airplanes back when I was shopping?
Right? It's pretty crazy out there. I found this one in a comment thread on Facebook. It wasn't officially for sale, but I, along with 25 others, reached out to the commenter. I was the first to commit to buying it, pending going to look at it. I hopped on a plane and went, and it turned out to be the right call.

I've had no fewer than 3 cash offers for more than I paid for it since I've owned it. An airplane which fell apart for me just sold for $3k less than I paid for this one, and it hadn't flown in 14 years, was bone stock and didn't even have a transponder. This one has a nice list of extras. I guess that's the long way of saying I thought I might have overpaid for it, but now I'm content.

Is your airplane an 0-360 powered one being from CO? Did you fly to Oshkosh last year? I'm thinking we may have talked at your airplane one morning.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

That’s sounds like me, the guy at OSH from Colorado with the 180hp.

Glad you found an airplane!
mmcmillan2

Post by mmcmillan2 »

Amazing pictures!
170B owner, KCFD, CFI(I), ATP Multi
Deputydog

Post by Deputydog »

Glad you found your bird, and she's a beauty for sure! You will enjoy the heck out of that in North Idaho and the PNW.
1950 Cessna 170A model
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Nice! Some great looking birds changing hands lately.
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"