ADS B out

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

MoonlightVFR

ADS B out

Post by MoonlightVFR »

I must be searching wrong

Cannot locate articles on ADS-B out at either forum Pilot Lounge or Hanger

Please help

I have a Cessna 170B at StLouis downtown airport in Cakohia Illinois
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
Deputydog

Re: ADS B out

Post by Deputydog »

I’m running an Appareo Stratus ESG, excellent product
1950 Cessna 170A model
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The Third Qtr 2019 has an article contributed by Member Karl Towle on the uAvionic installation as HE did it on his airplane.

There are numerous articles on the web about other ADS-B Out installations available, and Many of our Members have selected the uAvionics wingtip product successfully. The Stratus and other products have also been successfully installed. I looked into the Garmin GDL82 product thinking it would be a simple one... I was especially thinking I could to the install and my avionics shop do the completion and approvals... That turned out to be almost as expensive and troublesome as the more sophisticated Garmin Transponders by the time appointments and labor and parts were all added up.

I ended up selecting the uAvionix wingtip solution (but they now also have a tailBeacon available, which I might have selected if it’d been available in time to take advantage of the FAA rebate) as it would have allowed me to keep my Whelen wingtip strobes. These uAvionix units appealed to me because I have two airplanes, each of which used the same (Narco 150) transponders and I have two spare transponders should either one of those die on me. I felt it was a more economical choice for me to make rather than swap two airplanes out for txdr-based ADS-B Out (which would cost me $12K or more as opposed to the $4K the uAvionix solution for two airplanes.)

Hope this helps.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Mschwarzkopf

Post by Mschwarzkopf »

I did the Appareo Stratus ESG as well and have no complaints. A Pitts S-2 hangarmate has the uAvionix wingtip installation and I am always very cognizant of his wingtip and the additional clearance required to ensure I don’t somehow whack it off.

Another friend with a Grumman Yankee has the Tail Beacon and said the same about his tail. I think you have to retrain your muscle memory about walking around the aircraft and moving them in the hangar. They seem to be good products and work as well as any other.

If you’d like to come out to Creve Coeur I’d be happy to show you both. I wouldn’t mind flying over to CPS if you’d like.

Mike
Mike Schwarzkopf
'51 C170A - N1471D
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Mschwarzkopf wrote:I did the Appareo Stratus ESG as well and have no complaints. A Pitts S-2 hangarmate has the uAvionix wingtip installation and I am always very cognizant of his wingtip and the additional clearance required to ensure I don’t somehow whack it off.

Another friend with a Grumman Yankee has the Tail Beacon and said the same about his tail. I think you have to retrain your muscle memory about walking around the aircraft and moving them in the hangar. They seem to be good products and work as well as any other.

If you’d like to come out to Creve Coeur I’d be happy to show you both. I wouldn’t mind flying over to CPS if you’d like.

Mike
Not being critical at all of your post Mike... but I have to think that anyone moving airplanes around in such close proximity to wingtips and tail feathers are not actually more hazarded by uAvionix beacons. They only add about 3” and that is downward...not outwardly extended particularly.... about as likely as someone knocking your Stratus txdr antenna off. If one were to get that close to ANY airplane one is too close.
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
Mschwarzkopf

Post by Mschwarzkopf »

I agree George! I’ll have to get a couple pictures to show you. I rent space in a 50x50 with 2 Pitts and there just isn’t a good way to stack the airplanes that keeps me from having to move two airplanes, so right now I go over the top of one. Yikes.

When I am king, things will change! :lol:
Mike Schwarzkopf
'51 C170A - N1471D
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Mschwarzkopf wrote:I agree George! I’ll have to get a couple pictures to show you. I rent space in a 50x50 with 2 Pitts and there just isn’t a good way to stack the airplanes that keeps me from having to move two airplanes, so right now I go over the top of one. Yikes.

When I am king, things will change! :lol:
I think that’s a Robert Earl Keene, Jr. song...
Mschwarzkopf

Post by Mschwarzkopf »

Had to look him up...

Not being from the Lone Star state though, haven’t heard of him. You’ve had a few good ones come from TX :D
Mike Schwarzkopf
'51 C170A - N1471D
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Mschwarzkopf wrote:Had to look him up...

Not being from the Lone Star state though, haven’t heard of him. You’ve had a few good ones come from TX :D
It’s the Little Things.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdnP4XsfUzI